HybridZ

I found a Dodge 360 in a ZX. Thoughts?

FlatBlack

I have been trying to decide between turbo L6 or V8 for the upcoming summer project and I believe I might have found the answer.

On the way to work a couple months ago I noticed a black ZX sitting in a guy's yard under a tarp with iron cross turbo wheels. I had always wanted to stop, and I finally did today. I asked if they would be willing to sell it [hoping to find a turbo under the hood] and the wife said "well its got a Dodge 360 in it." The car is a basket case, the interior is shot and its pretty rusty. She said it needed a new carb, and listed whatever else was wrong with the car. She said they were debating fixing it up in the spring but didnt sound very convincing.

I have a buddy that works on V8s often so I would have help locally. I just think if I can get this for a reasonable price this would be a sign from the Z gods giving me the go-ahead with a V8 swap.

If anyone has done this swap please chime in, or if you have any other comments such as "Don't get a dogde 360 it is hard to find a manual tranny" or whatever. I have NOT researched this very much and will need to do some serious reading about it, but I would love to hear some thoughts.

I DO NOT know:

How many miles the motor has on it

How long ago it ran

If it overheats, random things like that.

How much they want for it

I DO know:

Its a Dodge 360 [looked like stock valve covers, *probably* stock internals]

Its got an electric fan and new radiator

The motor is in the car and ran

It has a rebuilt Auto tranny with a Hurst shifter, the wife said it was built for the track

Thanks V8 Zed heads

Unless the car starts and runs and you can test drive it...Bid on the car, WHILE ASSUMING the engine and maybe the transmissions a TOTAL BASKET CASE , (NOT A PARTS SALVAGEABLE) that , the engine/drive train, needs to be thrown in the dumpster, if you get the car at that price youll be reasonably sure that youve got a semi decent price for what you get, if its salvagable your ahead, if its junk, well you counted on that in the price.

Look over the body and frame carefully,....with NO engine or TRANS is the body worth the price?

you might get a screaming deal, the current owner probably just wants OUT! or he would be working on the car!

a mopar 360 is a very good engine but if vits conditions totally un-known suspect the worst

It was just a walk up to the house and ask deal, no real 'bidding.' So there will be much haggling if they would sell the car.

Thanks for the advice! My thoughts were that even if the drivetrain wasn't worth it, having all of the V8 swap parts in the body was worth it. I would even take just the car minus the motor and tranny if they'd let it go for super cheap [and I am a fan of the swastika wheels :) ]. I have a SBC 350 lined up if it needs a motor...

The Dodge engine is an excellent engine..yeah i know the compression ratio is not good for 360s blah.blah, but that can be remedied with an engine kit to raise compression. SBM are not any more expensive than a chevy or ford small block.

If the vehcle is rusty i would def. walk away!

Ive got a small Dakota truck, only weighs 3300 pounds and I have a 360 Magnum MPI engine in mine. Its a torque beast, but they are at least twice the price of a Chevy or Ford small block.

For the money I would suggest getting another S30 and installing either a GM crate 350, or rebuilding a used 302. Dodge engines are cool, but they are not the best option for a Z (IMO)

• 4 weeks later...