HybridZ

I test drove the new 370z last night

wrxand280z

My wife just bought a maxima two days ago and while I was leaving I told our sales guy that I was interested in the new Z. I was deffinatly not in a mood to buy another car but yesterday afternoon I got a call saying we've got one in, come take a look at it. How could I pass on that. Unfortunatly it was dark outside but the car was under the street lights. It was a white touring model for $35k. Trust me it looks better in person. I love the front of the car but the back is still a little off. I think its the small "port" windows. The lines are very similiar to the S30's. The interior is where they made some drastic improvements. Previously I thought the interior looked very entry level vs an upscale sports car. The dash and consol was a very nice and rich leather with white stiches.

I made it very clear that I wasn't going to buy one so I was supprised when he said to my wife that she couldn't come because he had to ride along with me. Hot damn I get to drive it. It has the new push button start with the remote key. I'm 6'4" and I found it comfortable in the power seats but I felt like my head room was lacking. I think this is due to the door pillars being right in my side vision (why can't they make cars for tall people). I backed it out of the parking space and noticed I wouldn't like this for a daily drive due to the limited view in the rear and sides. I drove it down the highway for a bit. I noticed the clutch was a little twitchy for my tasted but I know I could learn to drive it smooth. Pedal engagement was firm but not to hard with a short engagement. I got off the highway and started down a back road. I decided that if I'm not going to buy it I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I give it a rolling start and floor it. The car hooks well until 6,500 rpm and the back wheels start to give. I slam it into second and they spin again. I rev it to 7,200 rpm and back off due to traffic. The addtional 30 hp to make it 330hp makes a difference. I'm sure with an exhaust and intake there's probably 20-40 more horsepower.

Overall I think the car is a real solid car. I don't know what the base and sport models will look like but I was pleased with new one. Perhaps if I was 5'10" I would be more interested in buying but right now (I'm suprised to say this) I'm happier with my smelly noisy but quick 280z.

Joe

Still have the WRX? I still have mine with 130K miles on it and was planning on keeping the old WRX as a backup. I would pick up a 370Z in about a year as my new DD for fair weather. I definitely need to test it before I make my ultimate decision though. Congrats on the new Maxima!

Cygnusx1

No I sold the WRX a couple of years ago to buy an engagement ring and pay off some debt. I have a bad habit of rotating cars just about every year. The WRX was by far the longest I owned a car and it was a pleasure to drive and I still miss it some. But as I grew older some of the displeasures started to wear on me.

I looked at a new STI about a month ago and I know it is quicker than my 02' but I really think my bug eyes was more fun and seemed quicker. I'd get the Legacy Spec B GT if I had to do it again but even that is a bit small for my tastes.

Now I'm driving an Element as my daily and the 280z to have some fun. My wife bought me a 69 C10 for a wedding present but that needs a lot of work.