HybridZ

Fuel lines....will they work for fuel injection?

jacob80

I would personally put the HP pump and Surge Tank in the rear of the car, where the stock electric pump goes, but that's just me. With a pusher pump filling the sturge tank, the HP pump is always flooded with fuel so it doesn't 'have' to be a true 'pusher' pump.

A surge tank external up front will require that pusher in the back. I had fuel starvation problems with mine until I did that. Something has to initially fill the surge tank before the main pump turns on.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. I used the original 1973 Ticker Style Bendix Pump to suck out of the stock fuel line and fill my surge tank, with the 3/16" line being a 'high point bubble vent' for the surge tank, as well as having a branch that went to a 1/4" line on the tank (the return from the FPR was routed into the surge tank as well, hence needing the 1/4" line out as well).

I never experienced starvation problems after setting it up like that using the stock 73 tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so, here it is. We want to use the stock hard lines that run the length of the body. We will run the surge tank setup in the rear of the car. Just like this one:

SurgeTank.jpg

My only concern is space. I hope that there is enough room under there by the gas tank to mount that whole assembly. Anyways, can anyone give me specific instructions on which line goes where as far as feed to the fuel rail and return. Thanks

That looks good. In a 240, you can use the 1/4" vent line from the driver's side fenderwell for your return---I have skipped the return line on the rail and hosed straight out from the stock FPR to it in some cases. At the back connect that return line to your setup as diagrammed.

The 'big' line on the passenger's side of the car is the 5/16" feed line up front from your apparatus.

As another possibility, take a look at some of the 77/78 280Z's---they have the HP Pump mounted up on the angled floor that is the 'bottom' of the storage bins in your 240. There isn't as much room there, but you can fit one HP pump using a 280 mount plate and some throughbolts. Since your reservoir will be slightly pressurized, you don't require the HP pump to be right close to it...and that allows you some leeway in what you have to fit on the plate. If you have a big reservoir (good idea), then moving the pump gives you a lot of room for locating it.

Good Luck!

If you have an R200 Differential, you can use a plate of aluminum that will bolt up to some threaded weldnuts in the chassis upper stringer. Using a different spacer than with an R180 (the moustache bar gets in different positions, and the plate will either be in front of, or behind the moustache bar!) you can put a pretty big plate back there---6"x 9" or so. Probably larger... It depends on where your differential is, really, and how fancy you want to get cutting the plate to fit around obstructions.