HybridZ

240z rear bumper, looking for your insight

I was looking through photos of these cars and saw many that had the rear bumper removed. Some had the holes left un shaved and some were shaved. My question is this a personal choice or were you planning on putting it back on or shaved it to make it more smooth? The reason I ask is, I am in the process of restoring this car but at the same time un decided to make it fully stock or custom resto. I however do like the smoothed look after the bumper had been removed and holes shaved.

Maybe, I mean Ive seen ones either exposed, finished smooth or a paint finish that is great but holes left. Maybe waiting for a bumper to be installed, or just left. Im just wondering what others were doing.

For me, if I was to pull the bumper and not use one Id shave the holes, not a big deal for me because I work with metal and I dig the smooth look.

I think it is more of a personal thing, but as a side note the bumpers on the 240Z cars were more for show than function, they would not stop anything larger than a shopping cart from damaging your car, so to remove them and smooth the rear of the car will not in the grand scheme of things cause a reduction in safety (since there really isn't any there to begin with). On the 260Z and the 280Z the bumpers actually are functional and although a lot of people remove them it is a persons best interest from a safety standpoint to leave them on.

Dragonfly

I have removed my rear bumper from my 240Z and am planning on wrapping a new rollpan over the existing holes and smoothing it around the sides. However, when I put my fuel cell in the back of the car, I intentionally left a 5 inch gap to the inside of the tail light housing. I am planning on installing a bar between the rear frame rails and mounting a bumper from a junked car (still a good bumper) inside the car in the space in between the cell and the tail light housing area. I pulled the plastic shield away from the actual bumper material and will mount it to the 2" square steel tube with metal straps. I'm not a 5 star crash safety inspector, but I figure that this will be comparable to a functioning outside rear bumper and will prevent my fuel cell mounts from taking the brunt of the impact forces. Is this reasoning sound? I'll post pics as I make progress if anyone is interested.

Thank you for that view, very good to know to that with it removed wouldnt really be any different that if left on in a crash stand point on a 240z.

Bumpers or no bumpers, you're probably dead anyways. :-)

I smoothed mine completely. Had a rear FG bumper but sold it and left the rear as is. Looks really sleek.

I have removed my rear bumper from my 240Z and am planning on wrapping a new rollpan over the existing holes and smoothing it around the sides. However, when I put my fuel cell in the back of the car, I intentionally left a 5 inch gap to the inside of the tail light housing. I am planning on installing a bar between the rear frame rails and mounting a bumper from a junked car (still a good bumper) inside the car in the space in between the cell and the tail light housing area. I pulled the plastic shield away from the actual bumper material and will mount it to the 2" square steel tube with metal straps. I'm not a 5 star crash safety inspector, but I figure that this will be comparable to a functioning outside rear bumper and will prevent my fuel cell mounts from taking the brunt of the impact forces. Is this reasoning sound? I'll post pics as I make progress if anyone is interested.

Great post, thank you. That does help get an idea of what to do on the crash factor.

Bumpers or no bumpers, you're probably dead anyways. :-)

I smoothed mine completely. Had a rear FG bumper but sold it and left the rear as is. Looks really sleek.

LOL good thing I wasnt drinking some coffee when reading this... your car in the sig is very clean.

I pulled the back bumper off today. The left side inner fender bolt was easy to get to but the right side was blocked by the gas tank, what a pain in the tail it was esp. with large hands but its what ever. It looks like it at some point in its life was tapped in the back end and put 2 small dips in the panel so I'll just drop the gas tank anyway for one to get it cleaned and re-sealed and then smooth out the panel and shave the holes. I already brushed on the rust inhibitor over the rust/surface areas and in 2 days time I'll start sanding down the body.

But anyhow it looks pretty neat with out the bumper, thanx to everyone who posted who had their views.

You have a car that is very low to the ground and weighs less than 3000 pounds. The 240Z bumpers are a joke. Remember the 260Z - 280Z bumpers were designed to prevent body damage in a 5 MPH crash to help the insurance companies, not to protect the passengers. Any real hit in the back of our cars is going to result in major damage no matter what bumper you're running. I pulled those heavy 280Z bumpers off my car and replaced them with fiberglass one from MSA. I did add and large piece of steel across the back inside the body when I put in my new fuel tank so I suppose that will be some protection but not much. One thing to think about is what is legal, most states require some sort of bumpers.

Remember to take pictures on your progress...

Im a picture freak so no worries! After I get some more stuff done I'll make a progression thread.

You have a car that is very low to the ground and weighs less than 3000 pounds. The 240Z bumpers are a joke. Remember the 260Z - 280Z bumpers were designed to prevent body damage in a 5 MPH crash to help the insurance companies, not to protect the passengers. Any real hit in the back of our cars is going to result in major damage no matter what bumper you're running. I pulled those heavy 280Z bumpers off my car and replaced them with fiberglass one from MSA. I did add and large piece of steel across the back inside the body when I put in my new fuel tank so I suppose that will be some protection but not much. One thing to think about is what is legal, most states require some sort of bumpers.

That is very true. I was supprised how much flex the roll of the body curve has but then again I will do some type of bracing as well. Do you have any pics of your bracing? I have an idea what I'd do on mine but always like to get ideas :)

That is very true. I was supprised how much flex the roll of the body curve has but then again I will do some type of bracing as well. Do you have any pics of your bracing? I have an idea what I'd do on mine but always like to get ideas :)

Not the best pict but basically I rebuilt the trunk area to put in the Camaro fuel tank.

tank-frame3.jpg

Across the back there are two pieces of angle steel. One is 1" and the one you can see is 2". Across the front is a 2" piece and the pieces running fore and aft a 2x1 square tube and a 4X1 square tube running across it the replace the spare tire frame member I cut out. Its all welded to the body.

Yeah that no doubt added some weight the the rear of the car. Might help with traction with my LT1, LOL. I did'nt put any of that in for crash protection. It was to hang the fuel tank and add structure to replace what I removed, I did cut out a lateral piece of frame that went around the spare tire well. All this is welded to the double sheetmetal uni-body frame members so I don't know how much good it would really do in a rearend crash. I am no frame expert.

Oh wow thats pretty extensive and looks beefy. I'd like to keep the truck floor stock but maybe I can box in the fuel tank from underneith to the body or just something infront of the gas tank near the "roll pan" of the body.

Thanks. I know thats right, a full year with maybe 2 weeks I didn't work on the car would take a long time to get over if something horrrible happened.

I wouldnt even want to know how a crash would go cause its alot of work from what it sounds what you have done and the avatar pic of your car looks sweet.

Yeah its only about 40 miles. Been there but its not somewhere I go often.

I know what you mean! Do you happen to go to Commerce by any chance? Just asking cause Sugar Hil isnt far from there and with a speed trap, I thought you may have.