HybridZ

transmission differences

luvmy280zxt

:cry2:I searched for this but didnt find out the exact answer. Im sure some out here knows for sure. Is the transmission from a 79 n/a different from an 82 turbo? I used a 79 manual on my 81 turbo so thats y i was wondering? Thanx

P.S. If someone does a search and finds the answer, plz let me know. Id like to read it.

Interesting that you were able to use just the transmission. I would have expected you would have changed out the driveshaft, rear diff (or at the minimum the pinion flange) and trans crossmember.

The differences are pretty extreme as far as Z transmissions go. The T5 has shorter gears requiring a taller rear diff of 3.54:1. The standard 79 trans had taller gears which required the use of a shorter rear of 3.90:1 (79 actually had several rear diff ratios and I'm still confused as to what the most common is). So the combo of the 79 trans with a turbo diff would give you a very long gear set meaning slow launches, but lots of top end. Also your speedo is going to be way off so don't use that to judge.

I blew a hole in the rear of my 83 n/a 5 speed trans years ago. So in a pinch i swapped in a 4 speed I had that was in a 260. It was a direct bolt in. Hated the RPM's in 4th. I wasn't aware of any differences. Interesting.

The differences in the 4 and 5 speeds would be minimal. It's the difference in the standard 5 speed and the T5 5 speed.

Well this being my 1st Z I didnt know that the n/a stuff would not all match the 81 turbo stuff. Well actually just the drive shaft. I had a transmission shop look one up for me cuz by that point I was pissed that i could finish up and drive the dam thing...LOL:tongue:. It is slow off the line but top end is good. I kept the rear diff in on the 81 turbo, I have the 79 n/a diff sitting in my garage. So from what i gather...it would be better to have the 5 speed from an 82 0r 83 turbo vice the 79 n/a? Oh ya.....I got lucky this week and im getting another 81 turbo. Black and gold!!! 500 $ Runs good just needs sum tlc!! Now i have a white and black one! LOL

EBONY AND IVORY!!