HybridZ

Z31 turbo lsd into a 240Z

Guest ZmeFly

Guest ZmeFly

anyone know how too or how difficult it is or isnt to do this swap?? any information or if you could point me to the info i need to know would be greatly appreciated

Guest Anonymous

Apparently the 240 z stub axels splines match to the ZX Turbo splines making the conversion fairly simple. I have never done the swap but many people on this site have so there should be plenty of info and pictures in the archives. The problem may be in finding a turbo diff and in a LSD version

Swapping the diff alone into the car is easy. The mustache bar from a 280Z with an R200 is needed, and if it's a pre-72 Z, then a rear transverse brace is needed as well. I think you can turn around the R180 diff mount, but it's better to probably replace it with an R200 front mount or do some of the custom front mounts as seen in this forum (search the forum) if you have alot of torque.

The 280Z (u-joint) halfshafts will bolt right into the Z with this diff. I think the stock 240Z (R180) ones will as well.

CV shafts from the 280ZX Turbo and 2+2 can swap in easily. I have a page on how to do that HERE

Swaping my R200 in my '72 only required the mustache bar. In your case, as noted before, you will need same bar and the rear support and front mount crossmember. You will also need the stub axles from a 75-78 r200. And also as noted above, the pinion yoke bolt pattern is different on the Z31 LSD. You will need to remove the one from the donor r200 car you will get the rest of the swap parts from.