HybridZ

Lemons team with a Z looking for help in SF bay area...

capt_furious

Likely they will be competing against our team at Reno-Fernley in May....so I'll watch and see.

We are going it alone, based on my purchase of SIX Z-Cars in mid 2006 for the grand total of $500 (one of which has already been sacrificed at the altar of Hapless of the Holidays Thunderhill LeMons 2006).

Parts sales alone have made this a truly no-cost event as far as the race car goes.

Now the safety items? Tires, Brakes, Harness.... That's probably damn near three times what the three cars cost.

The only saving grace is that three of them are an identical 77 280Z, and almost EVERYTHING that was safety-related and cost us money was transferrable to the next chassis. Hell, we still got a 280ZX out ofthe deal that some people saw running at MSA with Frank280ZX driving! It's a LeMons canidate as well, but I kinda gave it to Frank. It's nice that the roll hopp in the S30 and S130 are interchangable...

It didn't hurt scrap prices spiked to nearly 300$ a ton to dispose of the old wrecked carcass earlier this year! Still several left to consume...

And parts sales of fenders differentials, etc have financed a good portion of the rest. I actually had an offer of $1500 for one of the cars AS IS WHERE IS... I think I should have jumped at that and painted one of the other cars with the proceeds. But trying to segregate my accounts gets difficult with different cars sucking revenue streams all their own!

So yeah the car may be relatively cheap...But sleeping accomodations, GAS, the tow rig, etc etc etc...

Don't think this is a 'no bucks' option. In terms of racing dollars, running your local Auto X is FAR cheaper.

But as far as true enduro racing goes...this is about as cheap as you can get it!

Guest jclusin

That is very hilarious that someone found our craigslist posting.

Prettymuch its a garbage 280z that needs all sorts of fun stuff done to it. Oh its autotragic to boot.

The team is comprised of highschool seniors, and poor college freshman. Slamming this car will be a gosh golly darned riot!

All of us are fairly new to Z's, my hope is that some older more expierenced Z enthusiasts could be of assistance.

Our team won't really get a crack at building this vehicle until summer rolls around, and all of us get off of school. At this point we are assessing what needs to happen to the car.

It starts, and moves; however, its on 3 clynders at the moment.

Oh that, and none of our members have participated in a road racing event.

some things to consider:

-anything safety related for lemons does not count towards teh cost of the car.

-you REALLY want a good cage, as it WILL have to pass tech inspection, and this is rubbing and racing

-focus on reliability

-come up with a fun theme if possible (yes, it does factor into the cost)

-whatever you don't need, strip out of the car, sell it, put that money towards the car (so, if you bought it for $3, and sold interior panels and trim for $100, you've spent -$97 on the car