HybridZ

HybridZ its time for another round of guess what motor

josh817

Yeah, before I got to the photos I was thinking "U20" and when the block photo showed up, it was confirmed. Bores look to be 'oversize 5 specification' which would be the largest you could buy form Nissan.

Someone took Chevy Rod Bolts and pressed them into the stock Nissan Rods for durability and ease of refreshing the bottom end (see notes above on being known for beating the bearings to death...hence reusable rod bolts. Before ARP, there was the shanked-down Chevy 396 Bolt...)

Les Cannaday at Classic Datsun Motorsports in Vista California should be able to give you some guidance on the engine, and parts.

As for the cam, check out the specifications for the 150HP U20 sold outside the USA, with Twin Mikuini 40PHH's...those numbers look familiar...

Many roadsters now sport SR20's...talk to Les, he's done several of those conversions for customers.

I'm wanting to throw in an L20B but now my main problem is, will it mate up with the 5 speed. I don't care if the 5 speed gets torn up from too much power or something. He wanted power, I will give him power, and if the tranny doesn't hold up well, replace it. I also need to know if this head can be used on an L20B block and if not, can I take the big cam and use it atleast? I'm having to talk to Dad about no more telling people set prices. Takes me 8 or 9 hours to build a motor and I charge $15/hour. Put a percentage of fees on the parts and build a motor for $300 profit. This set cost is ridiculous when things like this happen...

I'm wanting to throw in an L20B but now my main problem is, will it mate up with the 5 speed. I don't care if the 5 speed gets torn up from too much power or something. He wanted power, I will give him power, and if the tranny doesn't hold up well, replace it. I also need to know if this head can be used on an L20B block and if not, can I take the big cam and use it atleast? I'm having to talk to Dad about no more telling people set prices. Takes me 8 or 9 hours to build a motor and I charge $15/hour. Put a percentage of fees on the parts and build a motor for $300 profit. This set cost is ridiculous when things like this happen...

None of the stuff will cross over to the L series.

You can get a good 200+ hp out of that U20... but as Ira said... the damn bearings dont hold up too well. You really have to keep the revs below 6800.

We've though about doing an L20 swap as well... but just have too many projects lined up.

As far as the tranny... I'll have to talk to my uncle, but I THINK there is something you can do.

Yah I think I may need to get an old 4 speed that us Z guys sell for scrap metal and take the bell housing. XD 200 hp out of a U20? How do you achieve this when you can't really increase displacement, the only real thing is some major port work, good intake/exhaust, and a cam. Well damn if I put it that way then all of our motors are "that simple" >_> I'm just trying to get myself out of having to rebuild a U20 because I'm so unfimilar with it and it seems like the technology in it doesn't match up with the L motors. :[

Yah I think I may need to get an old 4 speed that us Z guys sell for scrap metal and take the bell housing. XD 200 hp out of a U20? How do you achieve this when you can't really increase displacement, the only real thing is some major port work, good intake/exhaust, and a cam. Well damn if I put it that way then all of our motors are "that simple" >_> I'm just trying to get myself out of having to rebuild a U20 because I'm so unfimilar with it and it seems like the technology in it doesn't match up with the L motors. :[

Well... 200+ HP you really need extensive bottom end work and a killer head/cam. Unfortunately when you start to twist these things they chew up bearings.

http://www.311s.org/

Thats a good link to quite a few people making good power out of their U20s. Although I would suggest doing an L swap (Or sr20.) Id LOVE to see a U20 with ITB and megasuirt though ;)

I believe the SR20 Swaps the guys are doing include the transmission.

The packages are available for the 240SX guys cheap enough. Like I said, Les can talk about this stuff half in the bag and swilling a beer hanging upside down from the two-post lift in his shop and do it from memory. He's got a veritable Roadster Factory down there. If it can be stuffed in a Roadster, he knows about it!

I believe the SR20 Swaps the guys are doing include the transmission.

The packages are available for the 240SX guys cheap enough. Like I said, Les can talk about this stuff half in the bag and swilling a beer hanging upside down from the two-post lift in his shop and do it from memory. He's got a veritable Roadster Factory down there. If it can be stuffed in a Roadster, he knows about it!

+1

So whats his number? I got off the phone with Dr. Dean and he says he isn't familiar with the swap since he does only Roadster stuff. I told him the situation and he was like wow... thats rather silly of you guys to say $3500 without knowing whats involved and I was like hey dude my dad spoke for me and I'm feeling it now... I'm especially feeling it when he said timing chain kits were in the $1600 area... >_< And you can't skimp around on the chains either! AH! No wonder this guy was so happy with $3500! DOAH! From now on its $15/hour and a shop markup fee on parts bought. This is rediculous.