HybridZ

Diff wont go in!

Guest VertexZ

Guest VertexZ

ok...long story short, i snapped the rear diff mount (mustache bar). Its a 260Z 2+2 with an R200 3.7

i cannot get the friggin diff back in after taking everything out. The new mustache bar has the same part number printed on it as the old one, but it looks like there have been some home made mods done to it, namely an extra bar was welded onto the back of it, plus it seemed to be straight where as the new one is recessed. Hard to tell because the old one is broken and twisted and possibly bent.

I installed the new bar, but the diff mounts about 1/2 an inch too far forward, and the holes on the chassis dont line up and therefore i cant get the bolts in. rear mounts up fine. No problem mounting the rear bolts into the mustache bar, they fit fine.

heres a little diagram [please bear with my crap drawing skills smile.gif ]

diff.jpg

as i said, the old must bar looks flatter, eg no recess in it and therefore mounting the diff further backwards, lining it up with the front holes.

so any advice? why isnt is all mounting up????

I was told to try mounting the FRONT diff mount round the other way, but it doesnt work because the mount is not symetrical, in that one side is longer than the other.

PLEASE HELP!!!!! im running out of ideas [and patience smile.gif ]

thanks

Jeremy

Guest VertexZ

ok, a thought:

i looked at jeromio's site and this is his diff install: being an r200 4.11, note the mustache bar is REAR of the two vertical supports either side of the diff....the question needs to be asked:

is this the way its supposed to be, or is it just because its a custom install job...ie am i a complete idiot because I have mounted the mustache bar infront of those two supports?

the pic: http://240Z.jeromio.com/images/411rear/411BackBelow1.JPG

The r200 mustache bar I swapped into my '72 is behind the upright supports. The rings on the bar are towards the front of the car. The r200 in the '73 parts car I have has the bar in front of the verticals. There may be two different r200 bars it seems. Someone else here noticed the same thing awhile back.

Guest VertexZ

i fixed it!

i just put the mustache bar on the back of the two vertical supports and its all bolted up and back together! I just had to unbolt the crossmember to get it on.

the old one was infront of the supports, so im guessing that was the result of some dodgy previous ownder modifications smile.gif

thanks guys