HybridZ

bad turbo??

Guest eclipse 123

Guest eclipse 123

ok i have a 96 mitsubishi eclipse gs-t. i have had it for like 2 years. the engine got rebuild. but a month ago my car started to throw out a blue smoke. only when it starts to worm up though. then i noticed another thing. ween a tryd to speed up and got to like 2500 to 3000 rpm the car started to shake and wouldnt pick up speed it would just shake. and a have to let go of the gas and push it again so it can pick up speed but as soon as the turbo started to kick in it would shake again. is this a sighn of a bad turbo or is it something else. does anyone know. if you do please reply to this i would really apreciate it. thanks.

Welcome to HybridZ! This is a forum for Z cars... but I don't think you'll be turned away ( except for bad grammar :D ). Your motor shake problems don't sound too much like a blown turbocharger, but the smoke may or may not be. A blown turbo will spit out a bit of blue smoke on start up, but really pour out once it tries to wind up, and it won't likely make the motor shake like crazy, just feel weak on the power. I suggest checking other things like sensors for the shake. Also remove the turbo to throttle body pipe to see if there is oil spitting though there. You can also check the spark plugs to see if the engine is burning oil & not the turbo....

• 1 month later...

Whats really common on DSM's is blown off, or almost blown off Intercooler piping. When you get under any kind of boost the car bogs and won't accelerate. The stock turbo's on 2g's do take a dump due to how tiny they are. But on top of that, I've seen a few blown head gaskets causing the oil smoke as well. Any updates on the car?

Whats really common on DSM's is blown off, or almost blown off Intercooler piping. When you get under any kind of boost the car bogs and won't accelerate. The stock turbo's on 2g's do take a dump due to how tiny they are. But on top of that, I've seen a few blown head gaskets causing the oil smoke as well. Any updates on the car?

Bingo. Oil spitting out of the turbo leads to coated intercooler piping which leads to blown pipes.