HybridZ

External wastegate gaskets

kcambron

I used a fiber gasket that had a fire ring with good success. Don't use a standard high temp paper one they blow out fairly fast.

I used a copper turbo gasket off of ebay. not a huge fan but no other real choice. This was for a standard 5 bolt garrett housing. If you have a stock nissan turbo your going to have trouble finding a gasket.

Evan

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Evan, I thought copper was a good material for gaskets. I've got an old turbo kit I'm restoring and can't find the correct wastegate gasket, NLA, so was thinking of making my own copper one.

I guess you don't recommend it then. Out of curiosity why is copper inferior then?

Just about anything will burn out if it's leaking. As in, the flanges are warped, etc. If exhaust can get around it from the very beginning, it doesn't stand much of a chance. Make sure both sides are totally flat. Custom made exhaust flanges get warped pretty easily during welding. This will lead to leaks and blown out flange gaskets.