HybridZ

Mushroomed valves?!?!?!

I have a 300-6 ford engine that just blew a head gasket, I took the head off and the first three intake valves were mushroomed ant the last three were perfectly flat. This has stopped my progress on my Z!!! I dont know if i should just put the head back on or take it to a shop and ask them. Is it possible that the machine shop that rebuilt the engine 2000 miles ago put in the valves like that for a reason? I need help so i can continue my Z project.:icon11::icon50::icon_frow

Thanks!

I have seen that before. Poor quality valves. Ferrea had that problem when they first came out. I built a 434" sbc alky sprint car motor with brodix heads and those ferrea valves and at the first race during hot laps the engine started missing, valve adjustments were tight, re-set them and car went out again only to come back with the same problem. Tore the engine down and the valves were "tuliped" The center where the stem meets the head had pulled and the valve length was was alot longer. Odd problem, but was common back in the early days especially with stock valves and lots of spring pressures. Switched to Manley sever duty valves and no more problem.

Switch valves and your problem will likely go away.

My valves were tuliped when this was filmed:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2000-autox-indisde-and-outside-I-think-my_8051.htm

The jackass machinist I used the first time I built my engine cut the valves way too much and the geometry was F'ed up, he really screwed that valve job up bad. Anyway, just because the valves are tuliped a little bit doesn't mean the engine won't run decently well.

In the future, the way to tell if there is a problem is to lay the valve on its side and roll it. If it wobbles, its tuliped. Putting two different valves in there will change the compression on one cylinder vs another. Not a big deal on a truck motor, but still crappy workmanship.

• 1 year later...