HybridZ

Fuel meter

I have a hole in my gas tank and the fuel guage never worked either (car was sitting for a while so I think the sender could be stuck or something) I was thinking to just go ahead and get this http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=RCI%2D2162A&N=700+4294925239+4294839036+4294920243+4294903827+4294894951+4294908349+4294755571+115&autoview=sku but I want to know if the sender from that will work with the factory guage and would the fact that there's no foam in it cause problems with just driving a little spiritedly here and there? I'm saving up money to get the Arizona Z 4 barrell manifold and a 390cfm and I just want to get it running again. The 2 barrell set-up I bought a while back was junk.

dont get those aluminum cells they are crap and are a major safety hazard in a serious crash, if you want to spend around $250 on a fuel cell buy one that has a steel can around a poly urethane tank, they are cheap and safe when installed correctly (with a cage for maximum safety)

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/8-GALLON-STEEL-CAN-FUEL-CELL,447.html

By the way I meant to post this one originally. This one does have the foam. I started this on the verge of passing out so thoughts were back and forth. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D293215%2DS&N=700+4294925239+4294839036+4294920243+4294903827+4294894951+4294908349+4294755571+115&autoview=sku This one should be easier to hook up since it has a bottom sump, but it's still aluminum. Is aluminum really that bad? I don't plan on crashing at anytime soon, I don't even drive recklessly much, especially not in the winter

I cant find one of those type with a fuel level sender. Thats a big deal with me because it's a daily driver so I want to know where my fuel level is convienently. I don't want to have to open it up and look at it every time I go to drive it.
you can always install one, its a GM sender and i would advise against trying to use a sender accurately with foam as it wont give a very precise reading.

But my fuel tank has a pretty big hole in it. We discovered it when we pulled it up on a tow truck and fuel spilled out of it like a waterfall. I don't need it to be too precise, just an idea where it's at, because I usually don't let it go past a quarter tank. Or did you mean I can install a GM sender in the steel fuel cell?

I just like to waste money. Whenever I have the oppurtunity to replace something I always try to upgrade it. Like when I burnt out the hard drive to my laptop I got a bigger, faster one and one of those cooling mats to make sure I don't burn this one out. When the rubber grommet/spacer thing for the clutch cable on my Mustang deteriated I got an aluminum firewall adjuster to replace it. Its just how I am I guess. I'll end up putting a fuel cell in it eventually, might as well just go ahead and do it.

you need it when rules specify. If you don't have rules telling you you need a tank, IMO, any other concerns would be best addressed by a surge tank or sump to the stock fuel system. Messing around with the gas tank is messing around with explosives; I am not one to just muck about with that sort of design without a specific need. A racecar for track only use, in certain classes, has rules requiring use of safety fuel cells. Then, it is appropriate. Any other time, its money and effort spent without need.

I did, too, for a long time, but the more I thought about it... Who really wants to install a gas tank into a car that will REQUIRE you to stop MORE frequently for fuel?? Just about ANY fuel cell installation is going to either use space less efficiently than a factory gas tank and be smaller in volume, or be a large affair requiring cutting into your rear deck area, building a shroud to go around the cell, etc etc. So, for a car that gets any reasonable amount of street mileage, it starts hurting you immediately right there.... The reasons are many. Don't get me wrong, sometimes fuel cells get put on street cars... but usually that happens because "someone" bought a fuel cell that didn't fit/didn't groove with "the rules"/got too old/insert some reason "it couldn't go on the racecar anymore" and someone else coincidentally had a gas tank crap out and, hey, why not....

Its one of those things, if you catch my drift... but, generally speaking, no reason to DO it, is a pretty decent reason not to do it.

• 4 months later...

Hey, I have another question to add. I got to look at a friend's 65 Mustang coupe and I looked in the trunk and I saw that they have a gas tank that's mounted kinda as the floor. Here's a picture I found to describe what I mean http://www.jagpromotions.com/forsale/ford/trunk1.jpg Now if this tank was swapped into the Z chassis, would it still need all the caging to be SCCA legal?