HybridZ

Small dog/puppy advice...

jbk240z

I have a cocker spaniel and he is great to have around the house. Personally, I can't stand dogs that are too small. He is about as small as I'd ever be willing to go. Still rambonxious at times being almost 13 years old, but lays around making a decent "lap dog" too.

Doesn't shed much at all, but he is light colored so whatever he does shed isn't nearly as noticeable compared to a darker colored dog.

He's a purebred, but doesn't have any papers to back it up. He is staring to go deaf, but I think that is probably a product of inbreeding.

Starting to go deaf at 13, a cocker spaniel, no way... It's usually due to the build up in the ears over the span of the life of the dog. Cockers have the heavy ears building up lots of heat. Plus they (or any dog) hates to have their ears cleaned out.

Cockers are great dogs though. I think the last one we had was "special" though. He was slightly off in his own way, great little guy.

The dog in my avatar is a mutt I found on top of a mountian 2 days after Christmas 1996, just a pup half frozen, shelter dogs and mutts rock.

I've got a Chihuahua sheds like crazy, but one of the best dogs I've had.

With small dogs, you "have" to spank them to make them behave, or else they will get territorial around strangers. That is why chihuahuas a notorious about being mean, the owners are afraid of spanking their tiny dog. :P

You have to make it clear that YOU are pack leaders :P

Ok guys, what about a pekingese? We found a 1 year old female at a local shelter. We spent a fair amount of time with her and she seems to be very mild mannered. She loves us and the kids. Seems to be potty trained as well. She loves to be around people, very socialble. She also has all shots up to date, and has been spayed and chipped. She came to the shelter as a stray, so no telling what she has been through prior to the shelter. Seems like a great dog to us.

Please reply with any thoughts.

Thanks, Jason

They shed, not a little, not alot, but rather CRAP loads!!!!!

And this is an understatement!

Great dogs though, wont get another, tooooo much sheding!

THe dang dog should have no hair in a week with what it can shed. It defies reason.

Interesting, we have two pugs, fawn female and black male. The only time I have issues with fur is when I bath them. My only complaint is the male eats everything (including trim, carpets, moulding, rocks, etc...) and the female barks at every notion of a noise. Not to mention their just not real bright. Took our male 4 months to figure out the doggy door even after the female started running in and out of it like it was an everyday thing. They're picky about actual food (obviously not what they eat, just food and treats) and they can tear apart a stuffed animal or blanket in the time it takes you to turn around. I swear I will never get another small dog. Between these pugs and the chiuahuas my mother had when I was growing up, I hate little dogs.