HybridZ

Thoughts for piping Turbo 240z

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a 240z with a L28 injected turbo engine... Problem is, somethings were done fantastically, others not so. The intercooler and aluminim rad are great, the piping for the system is a nightmare....

P1040434.jpg

P1040432.jpg

P1040433.jpg

To engineer this setup in aus I need to:

1. Get rid of the pod filter - no loss as the clown who built the system stuck it behind the radiator :)

2. Get rid of the atmo blow off valve - again why bother in the first place when they attract so much attention to the car?

I'm not sure if its obvious but there are a couple of chromed mild steel pipes used in the system at the moment and THEY HAVE T GO!!!

reason for posting, does anyone with a turbo L28 have some photos of their engine bay I can have a squiz at to get some odeas about piping???

Cheers,

Thomas

not realy keen on relocating the battery to the boot at this stage, nor creating and using a custom manifold as te cast item apparently flows OK and will have no issues with is cracking or warping (car is a daily)...

SlownRusty looks like he has a nice turbo setup... I have done a heap of searching but cant find any pics of what I am looking for...

Thank you!!! Your are scholars and gentlemen!

Obviously, the way you are running the inlet and outlet of the cooler is reversed... Does the inlet pipe get very hot sitting behind the radiator???

I will most likely go this route, maybe not the best but it may allow me to keep the airbox on the turbo side and not have a mega-long inlet track...

catch 22! If i keep my current piping layout, I will have to locate an airbox on the other side of the engine - lengthening the inlet track and potentially having higher inlet temps... Change the piping, get the airbox inlet track short and heat up a pipe behind the radiator...

I would just mount an air filter nearly directly on the turbocharger, and build a thin sheetmetal wall to block airflow from the radiator off from that section of your underhood area. Run the compressor outlet underneath the engine as shown by ktm, into that side of the intercooler (YOUR driver side I guess) and then the outlet from the intercooler has a short run straight back towards your throttle body, just like the stock L28E setup.

At the same time, find a way to divert cool air flow from up front over towards your air filter. You SHOULD ideally have the intercooler and radiator (and AC condenser, if present) sealed together in one box of airflow(condenser smallest, then IC, then rad, each has its own "independent airflow" area but air can't leak around any of them) and then have the entire front inlet of the car essentially ducted off to that "wall" anyhow.. you can find a way to snake a duct out of the high pressure "mouth" of the car to let some air go over there for fresh air for your air filter, then it will flow over the turbo and exhaust manifolds and provide them with a nice fresh breeze, too.

That is my "Ideal piping setup" blurb.

problem with the getting it engineered in AUS is that the Road and Traffic Authority require you to have a standard airbox - i.e. plastic peice of crap. It doesnt matter where you source the airbox from, or the make so long as its not a boxed pod filter... if I could run a pod, it would be nice and easy...

Actually your set up looks to be, in my opinion, better then what is done in some of the other photos. Reason being is your running the hot side behind the radiator letting the heat stay there and the cool side comes in nice and cold straight into the intake with little heat soak.

The other pics don't look like that is happening, except for KTM. I think Wigenout also did his like KTM and had a measurable difference in IAT differences.

Here is the thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=133438

Actually your set up looks to be, in my opinion, better then what is done in some of the other photos. Reason being is your running the hot side behind the radiator letting the heat stay there and the cool side comes in nice and cold straight into the intake with little heat soak.

Totally agree that running the inlet pipe behind the radiator is a bad idea for performance... Especially considering we have had 3 40oC days in the past week, but if I dont, I will have to put the airbox on the spark plug side (i'll use this as drivers sides are different for us) and thus increase the inlet track length, therefore increasing the heat of pre-compressed air...

I have just gotten a turbo subaru air box from a friend to trial fit in places so I will see how that goes...

Thanks for all the pics guys, they are really helping me determine a good solution.

have come up with a new solution smiley.gif

showrouteundercoolerpipe.jpg

I will run the hot pipe out the same side of the car, underneath the intercooler (in front of the radiator support panel) then up and into the cooler... I think it is an eloquent solution to the hot pipe which allows me to retain the very short cold pipe....

As far as the airbox goes, I will run the inlet underneath the radiator level (in front of the engine) and into the air box... It will have a cold air intake through the holes on the other side of the radiator support panel....

And this will be the cheapest option to fabricate which is even better... I am now just wondering, should I make the pipes myself out of mild steel and have them ceramic coated, or pay someone to fab them out of aluminium...huh.gif? Not sure, the ally is probably the best option, but I am looking at some serious dollars