HybridZ

rear wheel wobble

hey guys, i was investigating a squeak on my '76 280z that was coming from my left rear wheel, i thought it was just a u-joint, but when i lifted the car and put it into drive, i found that the rear wheel wobbles back and fourth about half an inch in either direction, it pulls my rear disc brake caliper back and fourth along with the disc and tire, causing the squeak. but the axle half-shafts seem to be spinning right on target.

i did recently take the rear strut/a-arm assembly to a shop to have them press in new bearings, replace the spindle pin and put the new a-arm bushings on for me. ive already had to take it back to these overcharging idiots as they put my a-arms on in different directions and screwed up one of the inner bushings. is it possible they ruined the stub axle/ wheel bearing assembly as well?

also, heres the other thread i posted before, pointing out their confusion about the a-arms http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=136885&highlight=replacing+rear+wheel+bearings

ive got a good friend at a midas up the street wholl do it for $200 if i supply the parts, that sounds like a good price to never have to deal with this shop again. they said id have to replace the rear hub as well as the bearings, but i am having trouble locating this hub on the internet, any ideas other than local junkyards?

Rear hub? There is no rear hub, I think they are referring to the rear strut assembly casting and strut tube.

Sounds like either the bearing is toast, but more likely the axle is bent.

You can break anything with a big enough press or hammer. I'd pull the wheel off and look for hammer marks on the stub axle. I'd then take it right back to them. As mr. Insane said, the longer you wait, the more likely they will not want to work with you on it.

Just make sure you have not done anything really crazy that could have bent an axle.

im pretty sure that the axle is not bent, like i said, when i looked under the z, the axle half-shaft was spinning perfectly balanced. as for the stub axle, i didnt check it, i didnt have the time to pull my brakes and stuff off. and i dont have the equipment at home to pull the stub.

my wheels are almost brand new, and i havent hit any curbs any more than just a small check while making a u-turn. or done any dukes of hazzard-esque jumps. so i can almost rule out the wheel or any of my own wrong-doing, plus its pulling the brake disc back and fourth along with the wheel. and i do get a slight pulsation in the brake pedal under braking.

im taking it back to the shop tomorrow, one of the guys from there came by my shop today and i talked to him about it. he reluctantly told me to bring it in.

all i can hope for is that they do work with me, and that they wont screw anything else up :icon56: ill poke around on the net to see if i can find a stub axle somewhere. but the only junkyard i know of that carrys z's is this guy with a whole lot full of them whos about 2 hours away. despite the distance, i still consider myself lucky that i know the guy, he gives me amazing prices on stuff too. thanks for all your help guys, its appreciated.