HybridZ

5.0 s130 swap

WreZ

Hi guys i'm new here (just registered like 5 minutes ago) anyway i've searched through google and these forums and i have yet to see a full write up on a 5.0 swap. I REALLY want to do this because i have an 82 280z with no engine and a newly acquired 86 mercury cougar with a low mileage 5.0 engine in it (sadly not HO but that can be changed). My main question is this, would it even be worth the time/effort/money to drop this particular engine in my car or should i just wait around and save my money for a HO engine and if it is worth it will i need to buy anything drastic or can i just transfer parts from the cougar (i'm tight on money at the moment) also i'm sure there has to be a writeup someplace but i'm terrible at digging through large forums like this so if this whole thing is redundant than admins are welcome to delete it

I remember reading recently that the only difference between the HO and the standard 5.0 was just the cam, intake, and injectors. There may have been something else, but I think it was just the top-end of the engine that was different.

And, speaking as the only person I know of with a 5.0 swapped S130 that runs (ran, at least), I'd say do it. The 5.0 is a good engine, and the S130 is a good chassis - so why not?

everything you just said about the 5.0 and 5.0 HO differences is true except i'm pretty sure that the pistons in the HO engines are forged and that the intake on both engines is ABOUT the same but i could always get an intake from a cobra if i'm gonna be that despartate for HP. also you said that you did this swap and made it run, any advice?

...also you said that you did this swap and made it run, any advice?

And, speaking as the only person I know of with a 5.0 swapped S130 that runs (ran, at least), I'd say do it.
Unfortunately, I am not that good. Lacking mechanical knowledge, I purchased the car done and due to neglect and electrical demons it has since stopped running. I think I am actually going to pull the drivetrain and throw it in my 240Z so I don't have to worry about work out the electrical demons and avoid smog at the same time.

Anyways, while it was running this was a very fun car to drive. The output of the engine is just about right for this size car without being too much. If it weren't for smog and a bad donor chassis, I would definitely keep it 280ZX.

• 2 months later...

There are more differences between a 5.0/302 and a 5.0 HO. The 5.0/302 uses a different firing order, and therefore a different crank and cam.

The 5.0 HO uses the 351w and I think 94 up 5.0 firing order, I dont have them right here in front of me or I would put it up here. If you are going fuel injected this is a very important point to put up.

You will need the computer from the right engine or you will get piss poor performance and poor fuel economy.

I am also looking at this swap, as I can get a 5.0 for $50 right now, and the 2.8 six performance in the 280zx often leaves me wanting.

The 5.0/302 , 289 , 260 , 221 V8 engines run a flat tappet cam with the ( 15426378 ) firing order and the 5.0 HO and the 351W engines run the ( 13726548 ) finrg order . The 5.0 HO in 1985 started running a roller cam. The 351W started running the roller cam in 1994.