HybridZ

L6 to GM/Olds tranny conversion

240Z Turbo

For those looking to bolt up a turbo 350 or the 200-4R Buick tranny to the L6, I am going to do the swap. I have been assurred that my Jatco unit will not take that much beating many more times at the track and I have no way with the L4N71B to lock the converter in 3rd gear. Also, the Jatco unit has no provision for a transbrake. So, I have decided to figure out what it will take to do the conversion and went to my trans guy to look at the tranny in question. It does not seem as big as the Jatco so I am confident it will easily fit in the tunnel with the engine as far back as it is. I will keep you updated and will begin my task this week in gathering all the info. Bolting the tranny to the motor will be as easy as buying a SB mid plate and overlaying the L6 bolt pattern and drilling the holes. The next task will be adapting the GN flexplate. I want to do the swap so that a stock gn converter can be used so people aren't spending an arm and a leg on a custom converter. Finally, I will have to adapt a starter to the car. I hope after this I can get some company to provide this to others.

I like responding to my own posts to update myself! HEHE! I found an AL midplate for $125 with the Chevy/Ols boltpattern. It has no provisions for a starter so I can place it where I desire. It is 24"x24"x.25" so I can just trim the excess when I am finished. I will now get the pattern for the L6 and the 1st task is complete. Damn I'm good!

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Dude, I'm with you. I've been into the idea of a tranny swap for a good while now but I am at the stage where if I do it its gonna be with a 3/4 chassy and if I do a chassy I dont know if Im gonna keep it a L6 or a RB26 or VG30. I do know it most likely will be with a Glide and I thought I would use a Datsun flexplate and for sure GM midplate. Good luck keep me in touch and if you need any help Im just south of you....

Alex Costa

Precision Machined Engines

1-800-665-0405

boostit@pmei.net

i like this posting to myself, it keeps me in touch with my...well the car guy in me. Anyway, found a company that is willing to make the adapters after I complete the 1st prototype. I will have to buy 6 of them, but it will use the 280zxt flexplate and stock starter with a turbo 350trans, powerglide, or 2004R. I also spoke with PTC(precision torque converters) and they will make a converter with the nissan front cover and the GM back cover. Price will be in the $400 range for the converter. Ahh, when you just put your mind to it..

Damn, that is sweet. I have been throwing around the idea of a auto in my car ever since I got it but never liked the idea of putting lots of power behind the nissan tranny. I may be interested in one of the 6 adapters. I would miss my 5spd but I'm sure I would miss it less after a few good launches on the auto.

JT

I hope everyone realizes this will also allow the T-56 6-speed to also bolt to the L6. I believe I might have TimZ on board to do this swap in his monster turbo setup. If he does, I will provide all the info on the auto swap and he will provide all the info on what is required to make the T-56 work. The adapter and information will be in teh $150-$175 range. JTaylor, you will be very happy with the auto in the turbo car. You will find with the right stall you car will be tough to beat on the street and the turbo 350 has very little drivetrain loss.

I've talked to a guy who's got a turbo 400 bolted up to his L6. What he did is leave the datsun flexplate, made a 1" adapter with the datsun flexplate pattern and the gm flexplate pattern. The gm flex plate bolted onto the backside of the adapter. He also had another 1" adapter made for bolting the the tranny to the block. Seems simple enough. No dicking with the starter. He bought aftermarket linkage stuff etc to finish it off. I don't know how two flex plates would effect drivetrain losses. He told me the name of the shop that did it for him but I can't find the #. I'll get the # and post it if anyone's interested.

240z Turbo: could you email/fax me the specs for the jatco mods? (valvebody drilling)

Bernard

Bernard, send me an e-mail with your # and we can discuss your options. I can also fax over the info that I have regarding the mods. BTW, I am selling my stuff very soon and it has less than 40hrs on the trans. It would seem to much trouble and not necessary to bolt one flexplate to another when a converter shop can just use the Datsun front cover so it is a direct boltup to our flexplate. After I do the swap, PTC will have all the specs and you just order the stall you want and it fits w/ no problems.

This is really cool!

I like the idea of having a trans that you can take anyplace and get service or mods or even a new shifter! Can I assume (any) turbo 350, like a used/rebuilt? It would reduce that cost greatly. Sounds like you'd also need a modified driveshaft to finish it up?