HybridZ

Got pics...can someone identify

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Alright, anyonyone know how to post a picture on this site cause i cant figure it out and i dont have any webhosting service???

I just took some pics of my diff but cant figure out what rear it is and what LSD is in it, clutch type or viscous or whatever...i dont know and need some opinions

BoB

Guest Anonymous

Mine looks like the R180, but mine has LSD...RB26Z posted in the buy/sell/trade forum of an R200 w/ LSD he was selling and mine looks exaclty like except that it looks like your pic of an R180 also...here is the link to his post so you can see RB26Z's R200

Guest jdllaugh

You know the mustache bar and mounts are essentially the same on R200 and R180 in the 1st gen Z cars. One obvious difference between the two diffs is the R180 is more square while the R200 is more rounded.

Aftermarket limited slip kits are available for the R180, so yours could be an LSD and still be a 180. If you're making serious horsepower, that could explain why it broke -- the R180 can't take the horsepower an R200 can handle.

Guest Anonymous

Alright im heading to the junkyard in the morning...what cars do i need to look out for to get a LSD R200 or are there any other relatively easy swaps to do...i have welding equipment and torch so i can fab some stuff just as long as its simple...i also have LARGE fender flares right now i measured from outside drum to outside drum and it is 57" and when the wheel is on i still have about 4" from outside of tire to edge of fender flare...keep in mind im making 400+hp/trq and need something that wont break and be reliable, i dont drive my car that hard and sometimes there is an occasional street race but i never see the dragstrip...need info before i go pull out useless stuff tomorrow...

BoB

Bob,

Are you 100% sure you have a LSD? That looks exactly like an open diff to me. Do you have a different shot which shows the clutch packs?

My open diff R180 with a 3.54 would leave two beautiful black marks for 100 feet. I have had many people tell me they had LSD's because they spun both tires equally. That doesn't prove you have one.

Just trying to find out how you came to that conclusion, since it looks just like my open R-180.

What happens when you grab,(hold) the input flange and turn one axle? What about holding one axle and turning the input flange?

-Bob H

`87-`89 300ZX Turbo has a R200 LSD, but not from the all white SE because it has a visCous, and the input shafts are different. I believe the yoke is different on the LSD's, you swap a 280z/x NA yoke off of a R200. They are a little hard to take off, so buying a new one may be easier (I think they are like $50 new).

The rear finned cover won't fit easily, although many have made room for them. A regular R200 back plate is the easy way to get it to fit with no probs. Also the mustash bar is different, bolt hole width and curve is different, so pull one from a 280z.

You'll need R200 half shafts. The U joint half shafts aren't great for high torque, CV's are quite a bit stronger, but require adapters. You yank a set of CV's from a 280ZX Turbo, and then use the adapter Ross has from http://www.modern-motorsports.com/ His adapter is based off of Scotty's old setup, they are CNC machined, and proven on the track.

Could consider a disc brake upgrade in the back while you're at it.. Kinda goes on and on like this until your z is a great compendium of used car parts.

Guest jdllaugh

I suspect the time has come for you to do some serious research. If your diff was an open r180 and your car a 240z, then it was probably the original rearend. Swapping in an r200 is pretty easy, but you got to buy the right parts and have some idea of what you're doing.

The LSD r200s are hard to find. For your application, the open r200 probably would work fine and is cheap and easy to acquire. It should hold up to the 400 hp/tq you mention. You only really need the LSD if you're racing or autocrossing.

There's a good discussion about the r180/r200 swap in the tech section of www.zhome.com. If I was you, I would hold off on the trip to the JY tomorrow and do a little reading first. ;)

I don't know what part of the state you are in, but I have a complete r200 changeover setup in Austin. Diff, mustache bar, and rear crossmember. $200 and they are yours. All parts came from a '78 parts car I had and it is a 3.54 geared diff with 10mm ring gear bolts. If your car is a 70-71 I have a driveshaft as well.

Guest jdllaugh

To post pictures on this site, the pictures have to be on the Internet somewhere. If you are a member of AOL, you can set up your own Hometown Web Page for free. That's what I did.

There are other sites out there that host pictures. Once you have the pictures on the Internet, you can right-click on the image, go to "properties" and swipe the link for the picture.

Then you can use the "image" button in the post or reply form to display the pic. ugg.gif

Guest Anonymous

OK, just got back from JY and managed to pull an 84' 3z turbo rear out yet no LSD in it, was an R200 though yet definitely too wide to fit in a 240z and then i found an 92' 240sx SE, it had the finned cover so i thought cool found an LSD R200, nope pulled it out and no LSD...WTF!!! spent 7 hours at JY and only pulled 2 rear diffs! Bunch of 280's and 300'some turbo some not...a bunch of the 3z turbo's still had the turbos on them, looked at a couple, all nissan 18&19 stamped on them, then went to mitsubishi section found a couple TD05's in good condition...Prices for turbos at this JY are $45, and complete rear ends were like $75, i mean complete from springs and hanging equipment to driveshaft! same with turbos, from intake manifold hose to exhaust mounting bracket...if any body needs anything let me know...Besides me getting all dirty and not finding what i needed i had fun ripping stuff apart...real cheap way of anger management control, something pisses you off beat the hell outta it! twak.gif Anyways need to do some research on which parts come from which cars and what i need as i didnt fully know what had what. Just mainly looked at 300zxT's, didnt know which year 280zxT's had LSD or if they even have one, justlooked for 300zxT 85-89 Right? that are supposed to have LSD??? well im done rambling, bye

Here's something I have had in my tool box for years, and it has never failed me.

240Z 70-73 MT (3.364) (R180)

240Z 70-73 MT 5spd. (3.900) (R180) -non U.S.

240Z 71-73 Auto (3.545) (R180)

260Z 74 MT (3.364) (R180)

260Z 74 Auto (3.545) (R180)

280Z 75-76 (3.545) (R200)

280Z 77-78 MT (3.545) (R200)

280Z 77-78 Auto (3.545) (R180)

280ZX 79 MT 4 sp. (3.364) (R180)

280ZX 79 MT 5 sp. (3.364) (R180)

280ZX 79 All Auto (3.545) (R180)

280ZX 79 MT 4 sp. 2+2 (3.364) (R200)

280ZX 79 MT 5 sp. 2+2 (3.700) (R200)

280ZX-GL 79 (3.700) (R200)

280ZX 80 MT (3.545) (R180)

280ZX 80 Auto Coupe/2+2 (3.545) (R180)

280ZX 80 MT 2+2 (3.900) (R200)

280ZX-GL 80 (3.900) (R200)

280ZX 81-83 Auto all (3.545) (R180)

280ZX 81-83 Turbo all (3.545) (R200)

280ZX 81-83 MT (3.900) (R200)

300ZX 84-86 MT & A/T (3.700) (R200)

300ZX 84-86 Turbo MT & A/T (3.54) (R200)

300ZX 87-89 MT & A/T (3.900) (R200)

300ZX 87-89 Turbo MT & A/T (3.70) (R200)

Note Turbo's:

1) After 4/87-89 only (3.70) Clutch type LSD

2) 88 All white SS used a (3.70) Viscous Coupling LSD

3) LSD units came with finned rear covers

Additional comments:

-Viscous coupling LSD requires special splined half shafts

-84 through 87 R200's can be used in earlier cars, but require modifications. They aren't direct bolt in swapable to 240/260/280/280ZX's

-84 through 89 R200's used a 12mm bolt in the ring gear. Earlier R200's used a 10mm bolt in the ring gear, so you can not swap gear sets with the older R200's

Side note:

-85 and 86 200SX Turbo has the (4.11) (R200)

REMEMBER that this is the way the cars came STOCK!

I'd like to reply to pvtkary about spinning both wheels with no LSD.

This has been a bit of a bugaboo to me in all these threads about LSD's. I think several people are out hunting for LSD's simply because of this question. They are spending time and money to solve a problem they don't have.

It is true that with an open diff AND a live axle (one-piece rearend from wheel to wheel like most rear wheel drive American cars) you will spin only one wheel, and the same one every time.

The effect is the same one we Z guys deal with when we rip out our front diff mount. When excessive torque is applied to the diff the pinion gear, which is connected to the power source, tries to turn the ring gear, which is connected, through the axles, to the rear rubber that is not moving and is stuck to the ground with the weight of the car. So, what you have is a pinion gear driven with a lot of force trying to turn a ring gear that doesn't want to. The result is that the pinion tries to "climb" the ring, thus causing the front of the diff to rise up. This same action also twists the whole diff case around the pivot point of the driveshaft. If you have a live axle this twisting action mashes one tire into the ground and lifts the other one up unloading the weight of the car on it and it begins to spin. cry2.gif

However, If you have an independent rear suspension (IRS), like on the Z car, that twisting motion is contained to the diff itself. The weight on the rear tires remains the same as it was before you hit the loud pedal. Two perfect black strips. flamedevil.gif

Now, this only applies when conditions are identical at both wheels. If one tire is wet, or the ground is smoother under it, or your 290-lb. mother-in-law is in the passenger seat, the strips may very in length. In this case the LSD will compensate. It will also compensate when powering through a corner when weight shifts to the outside tires. The LSD will also create more "push" or understeer which you may or may not want.

So, yes, the LSD is great, and will always help you get more traction. But if what you are concerned with is just leaving two black stripes save your money for more speed parts.

Hope this clears things up for some. I know I feel better. tongue.gif

BTW, my favorite movie is “My Cousin Vinnie”.

Dan

Guest Anonymous

Thanx Dan for giving me the courage to come out of the closet and publically state: " I dislike LSD"! Every time I was behind the wheel of an LSD and tried to turn the wheel under power ,the car wanted to go straight. Every time I hit a slick spot on the road, the car wanted to go in the direction the hood happened to be pointed. LSD is something , I do not wish to become accustomed to.