HybridZ

Is it worth it?

I was going to be there to assist when he came down - I know all the "usual suspect" areas, so that wouldn't have been a problem.

No title is no big deal if you want to keep the car in Ga. I just went through this. You can NOT get a title for any vehicle from 1963-1985 in the state of Ga. Since Ga. is one of the few (if not THE only) states that only requires a bill of sale to register. $400 or not - they won't give you a title. The only way you're going to get a title is if you have a clean bill of sale, and you either sell the car out of state, or take the car with you out of state and register it in the new state.

We'll have to take a good look at it when you come down and make the determination from there. But since you're in NY, and I'm not sure if you have your original bill of sale or not - it may be "parting time" based on your answer. Then again - there are also ways around that too.....

I'm not sayin' - I'm just sayin'..........Ga. is LAX when it comes to registering vehicles. You could make up a bill of sale and have Porky Pig sign it, and they'd give you a registration without even second glancing it. But a title.....no sir.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahahha paying for bill of sale =P. well someone brought the car to the mechanic shop to be fixed and i guess he did not want to pay what he had to or he just thought it wasn't worth it,this all happen with the past owners of this shop

Wel since it's been sitting, you can apply a lien on it, and after 30-90 days get a title. You can charge I think up to $30 a day storage (you'll need to know the rules in GA on this) but after so many days, you just go down with your Mechanics Lien and get a title. it'll cost about 35 bucks. You'll have to certify it hasn't been driven too. easy peasy. esp since you guys own the shop it's been sitting at. (they can take that storage "loss" off their taxes too since it took up usable space.

What part of "You can't get a title in Ga. for ANY car from 1963-1985" didn't you understand? I can tell you from (bad) experience I went through 2 weeks ago that you cannot, will not, and shall not be granted a title for ANY car between those age ranges. It's just not gonna happen. Mechanic's lien, doctor's note, act of Congress, special pardon from Barack Obama - nothing will get you a title for a vehicle in the state of Ga. Period. Only way to do it is register in another state.

O_O dayum you seem pissed off. lol its okay he said he didn't know GA laws. and i little research wouldn't hurt .but didn't you say that you register the car with a bill of sale? cant i drive the car if its registered?

My apologies Pharoahabq - yes - that did come off a bit harsh. I only reiterated that fact because I had a guy drive down from Virginia 2 weeks ago to buy a car that I was helping someone sell. The deal was almost done until the buyer said "OK - go get the title and let's do this". The owner turned white as a ghost. NO TITLE. So here I am - embarrassed for the owner, and feeling sorry for the guy that drove 9 hours to come get the car. It was a bad situation. Much research was done over the weekend. The buyer went home empty handed, and I got screwed in the deal (i.e. no $$$ for services performed)

The owner went to the DMV that Monday and they refused to give him a title. Just as the research we did over the weekend corroborated.

But as stated earlier - you most certainly can register and drive the car in the state of Ga. with just a bill of sale. Selling it out of state, or registering it in another state is a different story.

yeah, maybe you were harsh, but whatever, this is the internet. ... no worries, but don't be so sure it can't be done.

Anyway, here's a link to the mechanic's lien section of the GA code. It provides guidelines for filing and forclosure of a mechanics lien.

http://www.lexis-nexis.com/hottopics/gacode/default.asp

Search "Mechanic's lien".

or

http://www.woodandmeredith.com/realestate/mechanics_lien.html#who

Filing a form similar to this: http://www.megadox.com/docpreviews/7975.pdf

So Mechanics liens are provided for in GA. I'm sure the DMV could guide in the filing if not a lawyer.. But at this point, is it worth it? it might be easier to take the VIN to the DMV, pay your $15 and get the owner's name, track them down and ask them to either sign a bill of sale, or to pay you for storage, and come get the car. Maybe you can offer to buy it from them. $50 bucks - if they have the title.

Separately, it may be possible to get a duplicate title issued, but likely that would include getting a VIN inspection and likely you'd need a bill of sale. Any record of the original owner?

Phar

The owner went to the DMV that Monday and they refused to give him a title. Just as the research we did over the weekend corroborated.

Did they say Why they would not issue a duplicate title, if he's the owner? He should have been able to file this:

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/titles/needed/mutilated.asp

and have a new title issued.

This from the DMV website:

You can title a 1963-1985 model car if you have a title already in your name, or if the title has been assigned to you. If the title is registered in someone else's name, a new title will not be issued. Cars built in 1962 and before do not require a title. All cars built after 1986 require one.

So if the owner isn't the owner they wouldn't give a title. But, I dunno, maybe this is a dead horse.

Edited by Pharaohabq
more info.

Hmmm - I see your point - we were in the latter situation. The guy purchased the car from a car lot and they didn't give him a title. He never had one in his name. THAT's why they wouldn't give him one.....ahhhso...

So - maybe this guy does have a chance. I hate dealing with the DMV - no matter what state. Again - my apologies for the bad etiquette.

ugh! never got the title from the car lot. That's going to suck. What I was reading is that he's got 30 days to file a missing title(lost in mail) from when he bought the car... Is the Car lot still in biz? If so he should be able to go back and ask then for either the title or for a new bill of sale which would then be used to have the title re-issued to him. Is the car Registered to him? If it's still in the preivious owners (prior to the dealer's name) then he could have trouble. It's a crappy situation, I hate the DMV too. though sometimes those DMV contractors like DMV express and such can help. though often they're more expensive. (tons less lines tho)

It definitely sounds like a nightmare.

Back to this OP thread tho. The rusty Z is at the lot still right? It might be an idea to try the mechanic's lien for storage fees, it'll take 30-90 days, but you should be able to get a title. unless the original owner protests, but they they'd have to pay the storage fees.. 10/day x 90 days = $900 bucks. + filing costs. So don't ever leave your car at a shop too long :icon55: at least you're on the shop side...

Phar

Today my brother and my cousin tried starting up the car.when they first recorded it,they were stupid enough to check for gasoline.so they went ahead and just tried starting it lol.they thought something was wrong but i was smart enough told them to check for gasoline.they put some starting fluid and the engine started for a couple of seconds =D

here is the video

(my brother and cousin speak spanish)

**UPDATE** My brother tried putting gasoline but looks like the gasoline pump does not work. is this common? or it might just be some connection problems?

Hey nice try starting it. It could be bad pump but more likely clogged filters. you might install an inline filter and see if you're getting gas. The pump you can test by pulling loose the line to the carbs and putting it into an empty 2liter bottle. the cranking it you should see the pump pushing fuel into the bottle. Careful here tho, because as we all know Gas is flamable and can explode, so be cautious and don't smoke, etc. you can also spray some starter fluid into the carbs.

Got another video.this time my brother put the tank next to the engine which i think is bad.but the car started.

Unsafe story... I have literally ridden on a boat gas tank in lieu of the passenger's seat (and the clogged/nasty fuel lines and tank) of at LEAST one 240Z. My dad's DD for a while was a 70 that he resurrected, and the first few weeks of him driving the car was using the custom fuel supply setup. I was 12 or 13 at the time... Fun times!!

Well nice, it's good to see that the thing will start. it sounds to me though like the carbs are pretty our of balance, and there's likely a vacuum leak. I wouldn't worry about any smoke from the tailpipe till you've had it running a while. likely there's rust all over inside the engine and on the valves etc. running a little while will give time to break that all down, and seal a little better. You should also check the timing, it could be off, if not just the mixture. But yay! good deal getting it started! getting a hold of the title should be next priority.