HybridZ

Is it worth it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So while my brother does what ever he's doing im been looking for a replacement engine and after like 3 days of research i came down to the KA24DE.. the SR20s cost too much. the only problem is that i dont see any KA swaps for the S30

Well, there's a lot of room under the hood. Here's a BIG word of caution when planning a swap. the not only the engin but ALSO the Wiring harnesses ECU and BMC and ANY other enectronics you can, Fuseboxes, Meters gauges etc. It's best if you have the junked donor car availiable to pull parts from. I've spent the past 2 months gathering parts for my VQ swap and I still don't have it all.

Have you thought about a VQ swap? almost 300 HP stock, and setups can be found for ~$2K unless you really look. I found my 07 Vq35HR for $550 on Ebay. 800 for tranny tho ;)

well,im not getting the KA because of performance wise and im not planning on needing all this HP and stuff i just want a reliable engine and 4 cylinders even better :D

So just keep a L6 in it. Don't drive yourself crazy and spend more money on something you don't need to do. If you just want a driver, keep it simple.

oh okay i gotta see how the engine is..because my brother told that it looked horrible and it even had little plants growing on top of it lol

That just means that it's a healthy engine :-D If you need an engine, I'll give you my strong l24 when I swap it for the l28et if you pay for shipping from Cali. I also know someone with a spare l28 in NH who would part with it pretty readily. The l6 is one of the best platforms to work on, and it's dead simple so there are only so many things that'll go wrong. You have wide tolerances of abuse that it'll just shrug right off, and parts are easily/cheaply upgraded to lighter/stronger/faster/newer components.

Or you could go with a small block ford/chevy. Want to talk about reliable?

Hehe, little plants. I guess it's been sitting a lot longer than I would have figured. Did he ever get it up on a rack to show the bottom of it? Get us some more picts, underside, inside and in the engine compartment.

the L28 it's got is likely salvageable. There's not a lot you can do to kill these engines stock, aside from no oil, but even then they're easy to rebuild. especially with your dad having a shop there. You can still buy a lot of the parts at Autozoneor checker or any number of chain parts stores. and online if you don't have any locally. Parts are cheap too. biggest thing I can tell you before you try to tear it all down is to see if it'll start, if not, then pull loose plugs in the engine compartments and clean the contacts especially on the injectors and AFM. These will make a world of difference.

Aside from that, you could look into MegaSquirt. With that, you will get a little better gas mileage and more power. There's tons of guys on here who'll share their fuel maps for the L28 too. So there's a lot you can do. Just gotta get on it.

Phar

Yeah if i was in georgia i would have done lots of stuff more,but my brother is not doing what im telling him even though i have done tons of favors for him

:mad: looks like he doesnt want me to fix the Z at all :sour:

and does the 260z come with the L28??

Yeah if i was in georgia i would have done lots of stuff more,but my brother is not doing what im telling him even though i have done tons of favors for him

:mad: looks like he doesnt want me to fix the Z at all :sour:

and does the 260z come with the L28??

The 240z comes with the l24, the 260z comes with the l26, and the 280z comes with the l28 (later models came with the l28e).

Yeah I dunno about the 260, and the L28, I'd heard of an L26, but most all I've seen of 260Z's have the L28 or at least it's the same block and head, the internals must be different to make 2.6L as compared to the 2.8L.

In anycase, Your brother not working on it and taking picts is a bummer. but at the same time, he's not getting paid either is he? so I guess you can't really complain. It would be nice to know a little more to see what you've got to deal with to see if you really want to continue with this project. He might be trying to tell you to look for another car, or maybe he sold the Z from under you.

Phar

Yeah I dunno about the 260, and the L28, I'd heard of an L26, but most all I've seen of 260Z's have the L28 or at least it's the same block and head, the internals must be different to make 2.6L as compared to the 2.8L.

In anycase, Your brother not working on it and taking picts is a bummer. but at the same time, he's not getting paid either is he? so I guess you can't really complain. It would be nice to know a little more to see what you've got to deal with to see if you really want to continue with this project. He might be trying to tell you to look for another car, or maybe he sold the Z from under you.

Phar

HAHAHAH that could be it..he sold the Z or he wants me to look for another car which i dont want to =[

I don't really want to put you off saving a Z. But, you know for the cost of what it'll take to get that one looking halfway decent, you could likely find yourself a better one where you are that doesn't need as much work. I don't know how common they are where you are but it would be worth looking around to consider. Especially since you're not into that one with any $$$... It's easier to fix your Z when you're in the same geographic location. Usually cheaper too.. hehe

I don't really want to put you off saving a Z. But, you know for the cost of what it'll take to get that one looking halfway decent, you could likely find yourself a better one where you are that doesn't need as much work. I don't know how common they are where you are but it would be worth looking around to consider. Especially since you're not into that one with any $$$... It's easier to fix your Z when you're in the same geographic location. Usually cheaper too.. hehe

The reason i want to do this is because i want to use this as a learning experience too, im interested into cars,my brother and dad are mechanics,kinda runs in the family lol

• 1 month later...

Okay so its almost summer,which means im almost going to georgia and i would finally would be able to work on the car.even though i dont anything =P but i guess i have a brother dad and mechanics at the shop.

So first thing i know i have to do is take LOTS of pictures to the most important places like the engine,spare wheel place and just everywhere including the frame rails.

So is there anything ya can suggest me to start with other than taking pictures,or ya need more pictures to be able to help me?

Well definitely take a lot of pictures unless you can take someone who knows the usual suspects rust areas to take a look at it. if it's got too much rust, then you'd be better off parting it and finding a better body. there's no sense in spending $1500 to replace floors and such when you can find an intact car for $1000.

Well now i talked to my brother seriously of what we are gonna do,and we just noticed that we dont have the tittle :-( and it would cost around 400 to get the tittle. so now we are looking for some other Z and out of no where he wants one too lol