HybridZ

Overboosting Profec B

TONY C

I've had my car running great for almost 3 years now. Well tuned to 20psi. Never gives trouble.

So the other day I take it out. After warm up I start to get on it. Running my Profec B on low (about 12-13 psi) Bam. Pegs 20psi ab about 2800rpm. :shock: I get out of it. Switch it over to high (17-19psi) Get it in 4th and hammer it. Closed circuit of course.:mrgreen: Holds good till about 5000rpm then.... RATTLE.. Spark knock. Damn. Never had that before.

Drive it home and check the profec B and it shows highest boost achieved. 43.5psi :shock:

I start looking. and find the hose clamp on the intake mani side to the brake booster had left town. The feed hose to the Greddy is rite next to it. That's got to be it. Put a new clamp on and go again.

Same problem but I didn't let it get out of control this time. I start thinking maybe the Tial 38mm is not opening. So.. Turn off the Greddy. It still records boost just doesn't interfear with the wastegate spring. 3psi spring in this case. Start boosting and all is well, Max boost throughout a full pull in all gears was 7psi. That's all it got before the profec.

I looked for cracked or broken hoses but all of mine are stainless braided and show no problems. Checked all the settings on the Greddy.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

tc

Yeah the spring starts opening at 3psi but the turbo still puts out 7psi with the 38mm Tial wg fully open. I am runnning a Garrett t3/t4 hybrid 60 trim and 2.5" mandrel dp.

I could most definately make more power with a larger dp but the faster spool at low rpm is worth it to me.

The smaller dp probably contributes to the psi difference too?

The turbo should spool faster with a larger downpipe.

If your gate isn't able to allow you to run 3psi, either the routing of the exhaust is not flowing enough or the gate isn't big enough to allow you to run 3psi. Sounds like its not normally a problem, but during cold weather it becomes one.

You might have the gain set too high on the controller as well, which will allow it to overshoot boost by opening the w/g too late.

Evan

BTW, don't you have that tial 38 piped off of an internal wastegate hole? I had that setup a couple years ago and boost was all but uncontrollable. Moving it to the exhaust manifold made everything more consistent!

I have the WG on a spacer block between the turbo and mani.

The 38mm might be a bit small but it is set up rite. Never had any over boosting problems before. always steady and easily controllable to any level I wanted.

I'll check the gains again but I think the solenoid gave in the towell.

If so then I need to decide my route of repair. It is nice to have the adjustability at my finger tips like the Greddy. But a new stiffer wg spring will return the car to it's glory. Just not adjustable so easy like that. But less expensive.

It's not a daily anymore so I might just get a few springs and be done with it.

peace

tc

Tony, if the car is making 7psi anyway run a 7psi spring. I had a helluva time with my car running a 7psi spring and trying to run over 18psi. It just wouldn't do it. Wastegate kept blowing open. I have had great luck since swapping to a one bar spring.

Wouldn't surprise me if you gained a bit of boost response moving to a 7psi spring. Seems that it won't change your minimum boost anyway. Its likely the case that w/g won't flow enough to allow you to run 3psi (and why would you want to).

Best of luck!

Evan

You know your probably rite. The only reason I stopped tuning at 18-20psi is because I couldn't get past it. The 3psi was in the wg when I got it new. I'll try a 7 and go from there.

I just scored a 30 piece box of mandrel 3" bends. Maybe I'll make a new dp while I'm at it.

Thanks for the help

tc