HybridZ

mechanical advance distribuor question

williamb82

ok, i got a rare setup for my supra and it has a mechanical advance mechanism in it and i dont knwo what its from. the magnetic pickup is from a 82 5mge distributor, but the mechanical advance and wheel arnt. ive been searching google for hours to see the internal setup on diff nissan v6 distributors with no luck. the reason i think it may be a nissan part is because the distributor cap and rotor that mounts to the back of the other cam is from a 89-94 nissan maxima. if anyone recognizes the parts in these pics PLEASE lmk what they are from. lol. that way in case i ever need to replace something, like the bushings for the weights like i need to replace now, i can find them.

Picture117.jpg

Picture116.jpg

heres more pics of what im doing. also i need to try and find some 45mm webers. the 40's i have will be too small. hopefully i can find some old italian made ones. would even take some solex's as from what i recall they are made in japan so would prolly be what was origonally installed with these parts. its a toyota 6m-ge made from scratch sort of. using a 7m block, crank and 7mgte turbo rods that were race prepped, 5mge domed pistons, so it should be ~10:1 compression since the head and block wer both surfaced. head is ported and polished, hks cams, intake, thermo housing, ignition, and possibly the valve springs. the valve springs arnt stock. either hks or trd units. only 2 places that had aftermarket as far as i know. head is ported and polished and port matched to the intake. header is a tri-mil 6-1. im going to mod the collector to a 3in vband and run a full 3in exhaust. these were just mock up pics to see what itll look like together. everything will be blasted and cleaned up and everything painted black or cleared. depends on the part. the carbs are in the middle of the rebuild. the bowl cover gaskets proved to be a pita to get the correct ones. these are old italian made 40mm dcoe's. from what redline weber says they were from a turbo maserati. got them from a friend when he parted his 240z years ago. they needed rebuilt. 4 venturis were melted. foudn the 4 i needed like a year later on ebay from england. the parts couldnt be bought new as discontinued like 20+ years ago i was told. anyhow. just figured id throw it up here. i know alot of you guys go 7m or jz in your cars. thought you might like this.

Picture112.jpg

Picture120.jpg

Picture121.jpg

Picture122.jpg

Picture123.jpg

Picture126.jpg

Picture127.jpg

Picture128.jpg

Picture129.jpg

Picture130.jpg

Picture138.jpg

Picture096.jpg

DSC08704.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

actually i have. thing is the pick and pulls around here are hit or miss if they have any old imports or not. just figured id ask here again first. i figure it must be some sort of nissan, hks used the cap and rotor from a maxima, so i figured might have been another nissan part. back in the 80's early 90's hks didnt mess with too many diff mfg's. toyota, nissan, mazda, and honda are all that im aware of.

• 10 years later...

Ok, so to revive this from the depths. lol. It is not my primary project, so that is why it has been a decade. lol. I have bought five 45 DCOE carbs. I have a matched set of 45 DCOE 9's, and a 45 DCOE 13, and 45 DCOE 45 as spares for parts, so I am back to investigating things for this build.

I found that this reluctor is from a 79-81 280ZX.

49835309187_8dde9270ee_k.jpgIMAG0126~2 by williamb82, on Flickr

I am still trying to figure out where the weights came from. Hard to find pics of the inside of distributors. I am thinking maybe a l20 or something else that is compact. Anyone seen one to know? Main thing is I want to grab springs etc.. to change the timing curve if needed, but also I need bushings for the weights. We put Heat shrink on, and it seems to be a good fit, but I am worried it will not hold up very long at all. THe old worn out ones were some sort of plastic. Same for the throttle shaft that actuates all 3 carbs, but I bout needle bearings for those. These are far too small.

49834473573_afe07b6279_k.jpgIMAG0124~2 by williamb82, on Flickr