HybridZ

my rb20 swap

dizzle

They are not bad, but the shop that my car is at now says that they are a little crooked. I will post up a pic of them later in the week when I get my car back. They are kind ugly, welds were good but they did not clean them up or anything. They look like someone made them in their garage.

Car should be done this week. All new 3" exhaust, intercooler piping, and downpipe...

Can't wait it is getting close to being able to turn the key...

beautylicious man!

i sould be staring my RB25 260z project at the end of this month. just wanted some input on those mounts...

with that in mind, im not exactly sure why i couldn't just weld my own...

i am aware of being able to use the stock skyline mounts...far as rb20's, but i hear the engine sits uncomfortably forward,this being the case i would need to make a new shifter slot in my center console, or rid of it altogether.

just trying to find a more concervative way to slap that detuned race engine in my soon to be s30. i shall utilize the search button!;)

Well I just got the car back yesterday. They did a SWEET job, worth the money for sure. This is what Modern Automotive Performance did;

3" turbo back exhaust

Magnaflow 3" straight thru muffler w/ vibrant resonator

Custom rear tranny mount (to allow extra clearance for exhaust)

new intercooler mount

new black wrinkle powder coated intercooler charge pipes

mitsu 1g eclipse BOV welded onto intercooler

Oil and return lines

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010-1.jpg

IMG_0011-1.jpg

The exhaust turned out great! They took a lot of time into making sure it tucked up tight to the chassis. the charge pipes fit perfect and the intercooler moved forward and down for more air flow.

All that is left is the fuel system, and she will be ready to start!

gettin so close...

Ah dude thats some clean looking work. Im in the final couple of days with my build as well. The anticipation is killer huh?

Yeah, got my fuel system pretty close to done now. Trying to figure out how/if i need a surge tank?? How did you do yours?

Other than that all I need to do is mount my crank triggers and put a base map in. I hooked up the starter and got the engine to crank over, it was nice to find out that it did not have a siezed piston or something. I have had the engine for 2 years and have never turned it over...

• 2 weeks later...

I dont have a surge tank set up yet. I am just going to swap in a 280z turbo gas tank which has baffles and gets much better pickup. Until then I dont run the car at below 1/2 tank otherwise it chokes out on right handers. Any time Im driving long distance I just make sure to keep a 4gallon can of gas in my hatch. Havent had any issues yet.

Well I had mine on the road on friday and it was running really good. Drove it about 20 miles to work, got to the garage door and, ugh...

Well my motor happened to have the weak timing belt idler bolt that I have read a few people have had. The bolt sheared off and bent all of the valves in the head.

I had replaced the tensioner and idler when I first got the motor a year a ago. It was running great, and then catistrophic failure...

Anyone have a spare RB20 head???????