HybridZ

Photo Request

What year is your 280z? And which year is that iggy switch from? I ask because you are matching diff color wires (yellow to black yellow, white black to white red, etc).

my Z is 78 and the ig is 79 from a buddys scrap car. I tried my best to match them up . According the the FSM the green yellow is connected to the ballast.. (well atleast thats what it looks like)

78 = 280z ... 79 = 280zx .... that means they came from different wiring setups. I don't have the S30 & S130 FSM's right in front of me at the moment... but have you been looking @ the S130 wiring diagrams?

well the thing is i jus wired them up according to what they are and the order they are in.

and yea ive been looking at them

• 2 weeks later...

That may be for an inhibitor relay, if I'm not mistaken. Only installed in automatic transmission cars. I think the AC relay is also a 4 prong, but I'd have to go double check my car. Looking at my '78 FSM, those are the only two solutions I can come up with. Either someone removed the AC relay because it was bad, or they removed an inhibitor relay because they were converting it from auto to manual.... Or they pulled your wiring harness from an auto car. What kind of transmission does your Z have anyway?

... And if it IS an inhibitor relay connector, this could be why your car is not starting. The AT cars were made (as pretty much all AT cars) to start only if the gear selector was in P (or N also, I believe). So if your car is manual now, the fact is that electrical current has no relay to pass through will not allow your car to start. If your car is manual, follow the wiring diagrams and figure out how to jump those connections together. If your car is auto, buy another inhibitor relay, and make sure the inhibitor switch on your transmission is operating correctly.

I'm not an expert on automatic Z's, I'm just making judgements based on what I've read in the FSM. its a great tool.