HybridZ

Any parts useful off a RD28 for a RB build?

kiwi303

I've bought a dead cheap RD28 diesel with a leaking injector pump and a suspect headgasket, since I just wanted the Alternator off the motor I've no problems pulling it apart and dumping the block etc to a scrap dealer.

But is the RD crank any use for a RB builder? They're 83mm stroke and use RB journal size (I think, I can check) and might be useful to someone to build a stroker RB?

Yah, I thought about that after posting. I picked the Nissan L6 section over the RB since it is an L6 yet is an RD. I suppose the moral might be, "don't focus on the tree to the exclusion of the forest...

Now I just don't want to repost and get slapped down for cross posting everywhere :P

There was another that search pulled up asking the same, but... no answer.

Yes RD28 cranks can be used in the RB blocks - I have seen sites in Japan selling conversion kits that look to use the RD28 crank - give away was the RD28 and 83mm that you can make out in the Kanji. The issues is the rod/stroke ratio and low pin height required - I think they are using a spacer plate, different belt and longer head bolts etc.....maybe someone who read Kanji can do a translation or one of the members here who lives in Japan ;) can tell us more

see http://www.rising-web.jp/06price/06_04rb25base_engine.html

I picked up RD28 starter motor as they are a gear reduction unit so should have better starting torque :cool:

Were in NZ are you? Might be interested to put it into my shed and have a play later once my car is back on the road.

Ah, thanks for that, I can't read japanese either, and babelfish turns out a hash :P Hopefully there'll be a nice translator on here along soon :D

Were in NZ are you? Might be interested to put it into my shed and have a play later once my car is back on the road.

I'm in the nelson lakes, about an hour and a half out of Nelson/Richmond and about 45 mins from Murchison. so I doubt shipping to aucks would be worth it when you ought to be able to find an RD28 in Aucks with a buggered headgasket/pump for about the same price as shipping would be.

Out of curiosity I checked out the prices for a Pump rebuild kit, Complete pump rebuild parts come to $150 + gst, head gasket in the pre '93 non-turbo 1.03mm size is 98.15 + gst, head bolts 43.15 + gst, Timing belt = 18.90 + gst.

so for about $350 plus some work I ought to be able to fix up an engine that sells regularly for approx $1000 on trademe. I think I'll run a straight edge over the block and see if it's good, if it's not, well, part out time :D if it is, might be worth greasing it up and sitting it in a corner to wait for after the RV8 is finished. or maybe do it up and sell it to cover the costs of the RV8. I wouldn't bother touching the bottom end pistons/rings in that case, just the pump and gasket.

Nup, Rover V8. P6B 3.5 block (between 1974 and 1976 manufacture) with mid '80s head, bored .060 to 3.9 bore dia, plus other stuff to be done to it.

It's currently sitting in the garage in bits as I potter around doing this and that. getting the Hilux running is taking priority so we have a farm truck with towball again, that's got two SU HIF6 carbs en route and I'll be making a "T" mount out of steam pipe. the throttles will be the tricky bit.

Right, I have the RD28 sitting in the hay shed down besides the HGS130, turns out the previous owner hadn't drined the oil before removing the RD from the C33 it came out of. I and everyone I know drain the engines before removal, so I didn't ask, just made an assumption and picked it up in the serena with a tarp over the carpet. needless to say it left quite a bit of oil on the carpet!

So the carpet is now out of the back of the van :(

Next step is to haul off the head and bring it up to the workshop so I can have a look at the injector pump.

NZeder? If the pump is shagged out beyond what I'd be interested in rebuilding, would you like me to quiz Mainfreight about shipping a short block RD28 from Nelson to Auckland depot to depot? cost $50 from wekkington to Nelson depot to Depot for a M76 gearbox from a XF Falcon, so likely less than a hundy for a short block to Aucks.