HybridZ

My (FREE) 1973 240z

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, here is a cool update!!

On the way home from work today I stopped by a shop that works on cars. They have rebuildable wrecked cars there often. I just stopped in to see if they had any older cars with a Chevy 350 to maybe buy. He said actually I do.

It is a 80's era El Camino, not wrecked but in need of some body work and interior wook. He said he got it from someone that needed the money bad. It has a 2 year old Mr. Goodwrench 350 crate engine in it with HEI distributer and headers. He started it up on the first try after he installed a battery. NO SMOKE, runs very smooth. I am thinking this is great but more than I want to spend right now. So I asked the price.

$500

Not bad I think, then asked about turbo 350. It works but 3rd gear bad but rebuildable. I then ask about alternator and other externals. Before he could give me a price I mentioned that it would be easier just to get the complete car as a doner car. Take what we need and sell or scrap the rest.

Price is now at:

$600 for everything including title.

:lol:

I said SOLD :mparty:

And now the final wow.

He said there is a person down the street that wants the body only and offered him $250 for it. Now I just need to go talk to that guy about the body.

Lets see:

Engine, 350, $600

Tranny, turbo 350, needs reapir, included in price

Misc parts, included in price

sell body to 3rd party, $250

In the end, $350 for a great running engine :cheers:

Can I say the son is happy! :lmao:

Engine, 350, $600

Tranny, turbo 350, needs reapir, included in price

Misc parts, included in price

sell body to 3rd party, $250

In the end, $350 for a great running engine :cheers:

Can I say the son is happy! :lmao:

Nice job! That'll be a good addition to the Z. too bad it's not Fuel injected, though you may be able to find different heads and such to do that, but hey it runs and it's cheap. Look through the V8 forums here to read the stickies on how much you're going to need to modify the frame to prevent twisting. there's a ton of info on V8 swaps. and things to look for and to keep in mind. You may be able to trade the tranny to a shop for a working one + $100 bucks or so. unless you want to do that repair yourself.

Phar

my vote is to throw the V8 into the parts car and make a rat rod out of it... Get some sheetmetal and cheap gauges for an interior, and have a car to do cheap and dirty and take to drags, do burnouts etc. Then the clean 240 can be kept nice and pretty and be the registered street car.

...but then again, I am not your typical H-Z'er

• 2 weeks later...

OK, over the last week, we got a little bit more done.

Today, I got most of the bondo off of the other quarter panel, it isn't as bad as the other quarter panel, but it is warped and ripply.

3377680351_d79326fdd6.jpg

We cleaned up the engine bay up some more. I still have some spots to sand though.

3377680477_5c9c991d38.jpg

3377681245_a180b3d28d.jpg

I sanded the bottom and part of the rear side of the driver side door jam:

3377680619_a8f29ede18.jpg

We chipped away at the tar looking stuff on the transmission tunnel:

3378499386_ccf4e08f5c.jpg

Is there any better way than hammer and chisel to get that stuff of the car?

I have a couple more question:

One of my seat mounts is rusted through and busted, do I need them to mount different seats? Or if I choose to stick with the stock seats, where can I get new mounts? I can't remember the site... :)

3378499076_08930a8d72.jpg

Here is my last question for the day:

Where can I get a new hydraulic arm thing for the hatch. It is too weak for the one thing to keep the hatch up. I tried switching one of them from the 280z and it didn't help.

I also noticed that my roof is warped, I only got a little bondo off, but it is easy to tell.

Justin

Here is an update on the engine/donor car. A friend wants the El Camino for his son. He will be taking it home and removing the 350 for me and also will bring back the engine to my house. He has a 700r4 tranny in good working order so thats what I am getting paid for the donor car.

Gone, broken turbo350 = $0

Received, working 700r4 = $0

Donor car removed = $0

Engine removed and delivered to me = $0

Even better deal on the Engine there. Can't beat free... Free car, free engine, you just can't get better deals than that, (well Unless they were in better condition :) )

Nice work there Justin, I guess you'll have to use your own bondo unless you're really good at straightening things w/ a torch. just remember multiple thin layers to build it up. no more than 1/8th in thick at a time, or you might get cracking. I wouldn't worry so much about that, though, It's those fred flintstone floors you're going to need to look into.

Some Sites that sell replacement body parts are:

http://www.tabcobodyparts.com/html/table_of_contents.htm

http://www.datsunrestore.com/catalog.html

http://www.thezstore.com/

http://www.zparts.com/home.html

almost forgot, www.blackdragonauto.com too.

You'd have to ask if any of them have floor buckets though. it might be just as easy to make your own a few people have done it.

As for the seat support, you need to decide what seats you're going to use first, then look on Ebay for the supports/seats and go from there. There's a sticky on here about what seats fit too, so look for that.

Oh and I was looking for dual mirrors for my 280z, and I couldn't find the passenger side cheaply, but I did find out that a set of later Miata mirrors can be made to fit and actually match the car very well, you can hardly tell they're not OEM...

Phar

• 2 weeks later...

Over my spring break, I slept alot, but other than that I did a little bit more work on the car.

I took the headliner out and the rest of the interior out:

3415060605_9c3bbef456.jpg

I took the dash and the air stuff that was behind the dash. I guess the air stuff didn't like me so it spilled stuff all over me when I took it out:

3415866858_8515f94084.jpg

I chipped out the sound deafening stuff out of the back half of the car and on the driver side of the transmission tunnel:

3415866480_ee787e84bd.jpg

I sanded out most of the rust out of the wheel well. Thankfully it wasn't cancerous at all. It was all surface rust. Then on the spots I couldn't get to with the sander, I poured Lime Away on it and it took most of it off:

3415866674_e46b19f943.jpg

We are cleaning out the garage some more, so hopefully, I can get the car in soon and I wont disturb the neighbors with the grinder at night. =]

Justin

It's looking good there Justin, Have you guys decided on a paint color yet? I've been trying to make that decision myself, and it's kinda a tough one, but since you'll have everything out of the car paint is going to be a question soon. Are you planning on pulling the suspensions and cleaning that up w/ new rubber bushings, and maybe some coilovers?

Phar