HybridZ

Compression, cam and head gasket questions??

Gixxer Squid

p1010268at.jpg

p1010269j.jpg

Thanks for opinions and suggestions from all of you. Finally got the car back and running. The deeper you get in the the more $$$ this darn hobby cost. I ended up running Meth with safe injection and all the bells and whistles. E85 still is not available in my area and tired of waiting. I had larger intake/exhaust put in, some additional porting around these and put a large 520 duration turbo cam put in. We had to run new stainless steel fuel line and return cause the stock did not cut it. Have not had time to dyno it but have a AFR meter and in boost it drops below 8-1 so there is definately some more power to be had once it gets tuned right. Its set at 20 psi right now and will probably tune it to 24-25 range. Meth starts at 8 psi and progesses till 15 psi which is then 100% spray.

The problem I am having now is that the back end breaks loose if I fart to easy in 1st and 2nd gear, plus I don't think it can be all that good for the turbo either ?? It would be nice to somehow be able to limit first and second to 15 psi and then 25+ psi 3rd gear on. Any suggestions for this? Again, running Electromotice tech3r.

J

p1010268at.jpg

The problem I am having now is that the back end breaks loose if I fart to easy in 1st and 2nd gear, plus I don't think it can be all that good for the turbo either ?? It would be nice to somehow be able to limit first and second to 15 psi and then 25+ psi 3rd gear on. Any suggestions for this? Again, running Electromotice tech3r.

J

You might consider a pair of Mickey Thompson E/T Street radials in 275/40-17.

Made a night and day difference for me over my previous Kumho Victoracers.

You might consider a pair of Mickey Thompson E/T Street radials in 275/40-17.

Made a night and day difference for me over my previous Kumho Victoracers.

The car is going to be set up for track days, not sure how the Mickey Thompson's would work on the track. BTW, If your ever in the bay area I would love to utilize your master tuning skillz !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the props Woldson. Its a love process as all "Z" enthusiasts can tell you. Here's a pix with the Carbon Fiber hood.

p1010273t.jpg

I doubt you are hitting more than 15 psi in first. :) The engine is barely loaded in 1st gear due to the gearing. I blow through 1st gear very rapidly as well.

I have no traction whatsoever in 1st or 2nd gear with 245/50 BFG G-Force (can't remember the exact model) 340 treadware tires. If it is being setup as a track car, you do not need to worry about 1st gear too much. Wider and/or stickier tires will help with the 2nd gear spin.

7.5:1 compression is too low? You do realize that the stock L28ET compression is 7.4:1, right?

You need to pull fuel if you are spraying meth. This is where it gets dangerous when tuning for methanol. I have my system setup to boost to 22+ psi, pull fuel and add timing only if my EMS sees pressure in the methanol supply line. No pressure, no fuel is pulled or timing added, and the boost is limited to 15 psi.

You need failsafes when tuning for methanol.

I doubt you are hitting more than 15 psi in first. :) The engine is barely loaded in 1st gear due to the gearing. I blow through 1st gear very rapidly as well.

I have no traction whatsoever in 1st or 2nd gear with 245/50 BFG G-Force (can't remember the exact model) 340 treadware tires. If it is being setup as a track car, you do not need to worry about 1st gear too much. Wider and/or stickier tires will help with the 2nd gear spin.

7.5:1 compression is too low? You do realize that the stock L28ET compression is 7.4:1, right?

You need to pull fuel if you are spraying meth. This is where it gets dangerous when tuning for methanol. I have my system setup to boost to 22+ psi, pull fuel and add timing only if my EMS sees pressure in the methanol supply line. No pressure, no fuel is pulled or timing added, and the boost is limited to 15 psi.

You need failsafes when tuning for methanol.

I may not be hitting full 20+ for certain in first or second with the wheel spin, I am usually hanging on to the wheel and can't really look at the psi gauge and who knows how reliable it really is.

I am actually running 51% h20 and 49% meth, the mixture that snow performance advises. I purchased there additional "fail safe" add ons for extra protection as well, although if everything failed, I would be screwed. I have a tenative appointment for tomorrow if the dyno is available.

I guess I am going to be relying on the tuner to get it right. While he has experience in tuning for the turbo, I don't beleive he has ever tuned with meth injection so it may be a crap shoot. Any words of wisdom for the tuner and I would greatly pass it on if you read this before tomorrow afternoon.

I will pm you my #.

James

love the look of that girl!

Thanks, pulled the louvers off the back and had her tinted at 35% all the way around including driver, passenger AND windshield this afternoon.

As soon as I can save some more money if I don't blow her up, this is the color I want to have her painted with all the chrome powder coated black.

http://stb.msn.com/i/C4/444B406094ACB48ACF79B4338C7D5.jpg

Went against a new M3 with a Dinan emblem on back today and she pulled on him, not by much I hate to say, YET, but she still pulled him. Gotta love the 2600 lb car, its all about HP to weight ratio...........

It would be nice to somehow be able to limit first and second to 15 psi and then 25+ psi 3rd gear on. Any suggestions for this?

Some transmissions have a 'Third Gear Switch' for the emissions system on the original application. Once activated it remains closed (working in conjuunction with a vehicle speed switch signifying 45mph or something like that). Usually an EGR component.

Utilizing that switch or combination of switches as the 'input' for a 'high boost setting' on the boost control mechanisim would be relatively straightforward.

Then again, a simple two-stage boost controller with a fingertip switch for low and high boost on the shifter would probably be just as easy and more failsafe.

That is the plan for the Bonneville Car, no high boost until the switch is flipped, above 75-90 mph. Before then, the tires will just spin, regardless of the gear... but that roughly equates to the top of second gear in the car with the tall tires or short tires...