HybridZ

Tremec TKO ll install, any suggestions?

jeffp

I have been getting the information I need to do a Tremec install in my car to replace the T5. The tranny is so close to just fitting in the car it is not funny. I will have to machine my throw out bearind slider ID .015 and that will fit. The front bearing retainer is exactly the same OD as the stock T5 diameter, so that is a fit. I will use the stock bell housing, but I haven't done anything with the bolt holes.

The big challenge for me is the distance in the shifter handle. The Tremec is 19.5" from the front of the tranny. The T5 is 22.5" from the front of the tranny.

I loked at the car last night and it wiould appear I can move the engine back 1"-1 1/2" and I am hoping I can install a 1/2" spacer between the tranny and bell housing and that will set me 1" forward on the shifter. I found a shifter the off sets the handle about 2" so this will move the shifter back about 1". Everything sounds good so far. I am not worried about the drive line,as I will have to get a custom one anyway, and I am not to worried about the tranny mount as it is easily removed and repositioned in the hump.

Here are my questions:

1) has anyone moved the engine in a zx back, and if so how far were you able to move it back and not conflict with the valve cover and heater hoses coming through the fire wall?

2) I am reasonably sure the hole in the hump is good enough to mount the tranny, but being the actual shifter will be 1-1 1/2" forward, depending on wether I can move the engine back 1 1/2" and if I can install a 1/2" spacre between the tranny and bell housing, do you think the shifter will still be to close to the dash in the car. I would really like to keep the stock look in the car, and I think I can swing it.

Any input from someone that has done this install would be greatly appreciated. :D

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I was told by someone who says they have done this before that all you had to do was modify the input shaft, glad I didn't order a Tremec to do the job. Let us know specially me how it came out that a option I would take if its not a ton of cash. Good Luck.

Alex

Jeff, i have alot of friends in the Mustang crowd. i have not heard of anyone being satisfied with a tremac!! i know one guy blew out second gear with the stock 5.0 motor. at the ford events they seem to call it " a very overpriced T5". from what i understand that tranny is not any stronger than a stock T5. hell if i remember correctly it is not rated for much power over stock. i would think that the stock tranny would handle your setup.

just thought i would let you kknow the things i have heard.

I have found a site that brags of a 9 second rustang that is running the TKO ll tranny. The unit is rated at 475 foot pounds of torque and they are running wrinkle walls on the car. That is what I need. My stock T5 has held on the dyno at 475 foot pounds, but I have never put a set of tires that will really grip, I dont know, I am just looking for a better tranny that will really hold some power and the tremec appears to fit the bill. The link is www.hanlonmotorsports.com I also have contacted Tremec and asked them about the unit and they confirm the torque rating of the tranny. I do know one thing, the T5 I am running now is, and has always been a hard shifter in my opinion.

I will look into this and make a determination. Some of the stuff I have to do is not that much fun, like looking at the way I positioned my O2 sensor, to move the engine back, I will have to modify the heat shield on the firewall because it will be to close. I guess that was my fault since I designed the down pipe myself. Anyway, it does seem like a solution, maybe I just need to drive a car with one in it and decide for myself.

Only trouble I've had with my Tremec is that it's notchy. As for the durability, give Bob Hanlon a call at Hanlon Motorsports. He drives one in competition and rebuilt mine (I've met him, he's an honest decent guy IMO). Mine had been screwed up by a previous owner. The previous owner drove it in competition in a VERY fast blown Mustang on slicks powershifting sans clutch. In a car as light as the Z it ought to be pretty bulletproof IMO.

so you are upgrading to a tranny that is not rated to hold the torque of your engine? 475FTLBS? i put down 450 FT LBS with a stock motor, i would think your built motor would make well over 500 ftlbs of torque. oh well i hope it works for you.

oh and yes i have also heard that they are notchy smile.gif

My TR-3550 (smaller, weaker input and output shafts then the TKO) was pretty notchy at first. On the advice of a Tremec rebuilder I found on the web (not Hanlon, BTW), I changed the GM Synchromesh fluid after the first 1000 miles.

Actually, when the engine had only been run a few hours and scored the bearings, I pulled the engine and tranny out and the Synchromesh was filthy with many small grey AL chips (very little iron or steel, as hardly any of it stuck to the magnet I fished through it.) So when I reinstalled it, I used fresh fluid. At about 1000 miles, I changed it again.

The guy I talked to said change it after 1000 miles, and again after 2000 miles. My long trip to AL made be go past 3000 miles, so I'm due.

The Synchromesh is not cheap. But if it helps with shift quality to do that, I'm all for it.

My Tremec shifts very much better than when it was new or even had 1000 miles on it.

Of course, throw the stock shifter away and get a Pro-5.0.

JEff I just put a hurst competition plus shifter on my stock t5, and it rocks. I would suggest checking on that option too. I picked it up for 129.99 and it has the adjustable stops too. I should not have any problem hitting the gears now, and the second to third shift is vastly better. No up, over and up again. Just shove it in the direction you want to go and it is there.

One other thing you can do, and I did this in my 240 when I put a ZX trans in it. Mount the trans in the stock position and then heat the shifter up and bend it. I had to do that in my 240 since the shifter would have had me bashing my knuckles on the dash every time I shifted into third. The neat thing about it was all of that was under the shift boot, so no one knew.

I tried cutting and welding one, but it broke and I bashed my knuckles anyway.

I have been thinking about going to a tremec or a world class t5. They are nice since they have a better over drive than the BW, and you can switch to a 3.9 gear in the back since first is not so short.

I would personally try the shifter first before I spent a bunch of money on fabbing up some trans and buying a tremec. I think Mike put a shifter on his BW and had nothing but raves.

The Tremec trannies are underrated so far as torque capacity. Also remember that this is a light car. My T5 held up behind a 450HP twin turbo 302 with TONS of torque until I really beat on it one day. Driving style has a great deal to do with how well the trans holds up. It's not liek it shatters into a million pieces the moment you exceed it's "rating".

P.S. Pete's break in procedure is good advice. I did something similiar on my T5. After less than 1K miles the fluid looked like it was filled with glitter!

Shane, you are putting out 475 foot pounds of torque on a stock engine? Now I feel like I have wasted my thousands of dollars on my engine getting 475 foot pounds of torque from my engine.

Lockjaw, I installed the hurst shifter about two years ago on my tranny. There was a significant improvement with the shifter, but I have to say I have missed third one or two times.

My tranny is in excellent condition, no grinding or anything like that.

The reason I want to change out the tranny is that I do plan on beating the heck out of it racing the car. I have my car setup to run wrinkle wall slicks. The engine is putting out 475 foot pounds of torque now @ 500Hp at the flywheel. I am going to finish off the car at 600hp and that should take my torque rating well over 500 foot pounds. I am sure the T5 will not last racing the car especially with slicks that really bite off the line. anyway that is the reason I want to upgrade the tranny. :D

No Shane, I am doing 475 foot pounds @ 23psi of boost thats all, that is in forth gear on the dyno. 450 foot pounds is allot on a stock engine, I am assuming your car is turbo and you are running about 20-25psi of boost to get those numbers. You surely are not going to do any where near that with a totally stock engine. Good numbers tho.

Lockjaw, yes a TT tranny has been used by someone I think. Talk to Clark, he told me how it was done. I guess they cut the case of the tranny and twisted it about 12 degrees or so to make it fit the zx car correctly. That cost about 1200.00 if I remember correctly. smile.gif