HybridZ

Let's talk about connecting rods.

PanzerAce

I created this thread because there is already a fair bit of basic knowledge about which engine blocks to use for strokers, which crank to use (LD28), heads are decently well known, but I haven't seen any thread devoted to the discussion of con rods.

So here are my questions:

1a) When building a stroker motor, which 'standard' (ie, L series originally) length conrod is the "best" one to use? L24? L28? One of the four cylinders?

1b) Or is there a non L series rod that people prefer?

2) What are people referring to when they talk about 8mm or 9mm L24 rods, and why does everyone want the 9mm ones?

So some of the above are probably noob questions, but it's come up recently for me and I'd like to know. Thanks guys.

So here are my questions:

1a) When building a stroker motor, which 'standard' (ie, L series originally) length conrod is the "best" one to use? L24? L28? One of the four cylinders?

1b) Or is there a non L series rod that people prefer?

2) What are people referring to when they talk about 8mm or 9mm L24 rods, and why does everyone want the 9mm ones?

These questions are covered in the “3.0 and 3.1 liter FAQ “ I wrote years ago:

http://www2.zhome.com:81/rnt/L28conversion/3031FAQ.html

I'm using L20B rods (145.9mm long) and custom JE pistons. Oh, I'm also using the LD28 block and crank. 1.75 rod/stroke ratio and 1.02 stroke/bore ratio. The displacement is still roughly 2.8.

That actually raises another thing I was wondering about: what is the big deal with rod/stroke ratios?

That actually raises another thing I was wondering about: what is the big deal with rod/stroke ratios?

I had always thought it was to do with RPM verses Torque from my motor bike days, shorter rod / higher RMP, longer rod / slower RMP but more torque.

I'm sure if I'm wrong some will say so.

Nigel