HybridZ

Cheepest / Best way to fit a KA into 78 280z

monster_mini

First off I'm need to this site and I love all the useful info that I have found.

I own my own performance co, but we normally work on honda's and later model imports, so I'm not new to the sport just new to older nissan's.

I've used the search feature but can't find any real info on how to and what to use far a KA swap into the s30. I've seen mckinney's and others that make kits for the sr and to my knowledge the ka mounts in the exact same place.

But I'm not sure if these kits will work. I am capable of fabrication, i have plasma cutters and welders etc, but I like the fact that the reasearch has been done.

I have a love for the older imports, 510, AE86,240/280z 78 skylines

well long story short, a friend found a car that needsd some love $150

I found a KA tranny $79.00

A friend is willing to sale me a DOHC KA engine with a bent valve with wire harness, $150 so I'm looking $380 so far and a long road ahead.

Any info such as links to a step by step walk thru for a sr20 install which should be about the same for a KA, I think. OR info on mounts or the wiring work or a part list of all the parts that is required.

Thanks !!!!

Jules

If I'm not mistaken the KA has the same motor mounts as the SR20

Any SR20 Mounting kit will most likely work, That's not cheap though

Cheapest way to put it in would be do all the welding yourself, If you do this you could probably get by without replacing the drive shaft if you mount the motor to where it lines up with the old drive shaft. But a downside to this is the motor will sit farther forward.

Wiring will be a cakewalk, Just use the OEM setup for now all that you should have to wire in is the ignition and starter

Welcome to HZ! I have seen alot of conversions done with L shape brackets coming off the frame rails. I just happen to have an old set of 91 cams. I do have a word of advise. The 280Z might be too heavy for that engine. Most guys put these engines in a lightweight 240z's body.

Welcome to HZ! I have seen alot of conversions done with L shape brackets coming off the frame rails. I just happen to have an old set of 91 cams. I do have a word of advise. The 280Z might be too heavy for that engine. Most guys put these engines in a lightweight 240z's body.

LOL, my SR is in a 280z. It weighs in at 2480 lbs with no weight reduction other than the bumpers. I don't think weight is an issue. Besides the KA24 is a truck engine.

My loaded 240sx hatch weighs 2800.

My base 240sx coupe weighs 2480.

Both have SR's.

My 240Z L28 weighed 2320 with a half a tank.

240Z with an SR is still to be determined.

These were all weighed on the same truck scales so they may not be perfect but they always weighed the same.

My loaded 240sx hatch weighs 2800.

My base 240sx coupe weighs 2480.

Both have SR's.

My 240Z L28 weighed 2320 with a half a tank.

240Z with an SR is still to be determined.

These were all weighed on the same truck scales so they may not be perfect but they always weighed the same.

280Z with full tank of gas and SR is 2480 with no weight savings other than bumpers replaced with MSA Aero III.

I wish my car was together so I could post some weight numbers.

IMO the best way would be to modify the crossmember into a K member.

I'm debating on whether I should move my KA forward more, to cope with some of the front end lift at high speeds. The weight number that "I" am trying to shoot for is about 2200 lbs. (chopped the front half off the car and building the frame with square tubing).

I'll post pics upon request :D:P

I wish my car was together so I could post some weight numbers.

IMO the best way would be to modify the crossmember into a K member.

I'm debating on whether I should move my KA forward more, to cope with some of the front end lift at high speeds. The weight number that "I" am trying to shoot for is about 2200 lbs. (chopped the front half off the car and building the frame with square tubing).

I'll post pics upon request :D:P

I did that a bit to clear the SR (to give clearance room for the turbo outlet) but building the cradle for the engine is the easiest way to support the engine IMO. I used the L28 mounts turned upside down. SR/KA mounts hit the steering shaft. I modified the trans mount to move it about an inch. The shifter is well into the original hole. I ended up tilting the Z radiator and moving it backwards about 16in(guessing, bottom is behind the sway bar). I then put the intercooler a bit behind where the radiator originally was. I could use the Z upper radiator hose and the SR lower hose. The intercooler only needed straight pipe on the turbo inlet and outlet. Put the filter in front of everything. One weld on the intercooler to throttle body pipe and it was done. Filled up the large hole left by taking out the 2 unneeded cyls.

It's not that hard. Bolt the L28 mounts to the KA and place the engine where you want it. Use some flat stock on the bottom of the engine mount for the crossmember to mate too. Use some angle on the frame rails and bend some tubing up close to the mounts. Make it fit and weld it. It does take a lot of time to fit things and make them look right. OR

Buy the Vildini or Modern ones, much easier and very reasonable for the amount of time it took to build mine.

It's not that hard. Bolt the L28 mounts to the KA and place the engine where you want it. Use some flat stock on the bottom of the engine mount for the crossmember to mate too. Use some angle on the frame rails and bend some tubing up close to the mounts. Make it fit and weld it. It does take a lot of time to fit things and make them look right. OR

Buy the Vildini or Modern ones, much easier and very reasonable for the amount of time it took to build mine.

Its a little more involved that you think. I know. I have done it. Even though its a smaller engine, you still have clearance issues, like the front sump KA/SR oil pan hitting the cross member, and the back of the block being about an inch of clearance from the firewall.