HybridZ

Poor running 82 280zx, should I boost it?

boosted280

I am new here but hoping you guys can give me some advice. I have a 82 280zx with 180,000 miles on it. It has either a vacuum or misfiring problem. But what i was wondering is can i boost this engine to 8 pounds with this many miles and be ok? or should i replace the engine and worry about boost later?

Get yourself the factory manual and study the car. Once you understand all the systems, you will be in a much better place to diagonse the problems. A Z motor can easily outlast 180,000 miles if maintained. You don't need to raise the boost. Modding comes last when you know the motor is in good enough shape. Read and Search.

Welcome. Remember we don't spoon feed basic info here. Especially stuff you can find in a factory service manual.

OK some spoon feeding. You need Fuel, Air, Compression, and Spark to make it run correctly. Make sure you have the proper amount of all of those.

cygnus is right. Get the engine running right before worrying about making more power with it. The simple answer is yes, the engine should be fine to boost so long as there's nothing else wrong with it. you'll need either aftermarket EMS or the Turbo ECU and some tuning skills to do it (among other things). Get her running right first, then we'll talk about boost.

i am going to fix that problem first. i am just trying to plan my next step. and i was gonna replace the engine prior to turboing it if the general opinion was it would mess up with boost. and the reason im asking is i have someone telling me i can do it and be ok. just trying to get more opinions.