HybridZ

240 tach pegs

Ok here we go , i have been searching for a few months but with no answers that have helped.. I have a 73 240 pretty much stock and the tach just pegs when i turn the key on. I have spent many hours cleaning grounds and checking all the connecters but nothing has helped. Is the tach just no good or have i missed something? It has no after market ignition parts. Thanks for the help

No i have not. i was going to pull the tach out of the dash but was turning into a pain, but if that is what needs to be done i will do it. Do you know what the inputs should read or how i can get that info? I have been chasing the diagrahm for weeks

Thanks jasper for the help , i have been searching on this site for a few months, i didnt want to get in trouble from the higher ups... i have been using the Haynes book to do the wire chasing, also printed off a copy of the auto zone diagram . I am thinking i am just missing something easy. But i am new to this car so im not sure. I know the tach triggers off of the positive side of the coil unlike most cars. thanks again for any help

I have the same problem in my 260, when I turn the key it will go to redline, and I think that only thing thats stopping it is the pin, but sometimes it will back off of the needle and settle at 7000 and then sometimes it does nothing, so im pretty sure that its just a bad tach

yep mine will back off a little to about the 7 grad mark when the battery gets a bit weak. today i fixed the temp guage and was slapping the gas peddle a few times and when i shut it off the tach stuck on the peg for a second or two. Its becoming entertaining.. thanks for the help

It's most likely the tach. I was adjusting mine and was too lazy to turn the engine off and killed it the same way. Luckily I had a spare.

I may try to rebuild the bad tach and if I succeed, I'll post how I did it.

Note: I thought I remembered a writeup somewhere (not on hybridz) on how to rebuild it, but can't find it now. I'm attaching the schematic. I think the issue will be finding replacement transistors.

240ZTach internal circuit_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

I was wondering if you found out what the reason was for the tach pegging out? I have a 73 that just started doing the same thing, only it would do it for a day, then the next day it would read fine. It seems to be more and more sitting on the red line as the days go by.

well i never did find the cause, i just figured it was blown up after playing with it for way to long.. i found 2 280 tachs in my local pick a part and put one in. the face plate is just a bit different looking but it works great. sorry i dont have the easy fix answer. on a good note i just ordered my JTR conversion manuel and cant wait to get it, :) ill get some pictures and keep everyone up to date