HybridZ

4l60e in 240z with JTR mounts

mas28O

Here's how you do it.

Get the old Datsun stuff outta the car. Put it up on jacks.

Go get a BFH.

Go drink a beer. Maybe 5.

Lay down under the tranny tunnel.

Close your eyes. Take a deep breath.

Think of all the bad things that have ever happened to you. All the mean things people have ever said about you. All the times you broke a bolt head off or cracked a manifold or lost a job or got kicked in the nuts or got dumped by a girl.

Absorb it all.

Now, realize that all of that, all the pain and hardship - it was all that tranny tunnel's fault!!

Go at it! Beat the %$&^#!*# out of that thing!

But that's not even really enough. You'll need three or ten such sessions.

It can be therapeutic.

When I built my 280z with a 700r4 I had to find a big hammer. Are the 240z alot smaller than the 280z cars. I have a 240z only because I live in Ca now. I just like the auto for drag racing at the track. I think that a auto trany would be alot faster of the line than a t56 z.

I've never dealt with the 280 tunnel, but I did try and put a 4L60e in my 240. I gave up and spent some dollars on a t56 instead.

That auto is crazy fat, and the servo is in a bad spot, in a very sticky outy way.

And then once you do make enough room for it, good luck with the exhaust routing....

I have a 240Z with an LS1 and 4L60E. Didn't seem all that hard to me, but this was my first conversion and have nothing to compair it with. Just took a 5LB stubby sledge and moved the metal to clear the trany. Took about and hour. Worked slow and deliberate, test fitting ever now and then. I had the trany on a tranny dolly, so I could move it in and out. b_hand.gif At no time was beer was involved in this process, but then again I not drink.

I did a 700R4 into my early 71 Z. I carefully measured and marked where the servo touched the tunnel. With a drill and sawzall drilled and cut a veerrrry large X. Using a small rather delicate ball peen hammer I moved about six inches of the tunnel side out and then re-welded. This took about4 hours to do, counting set up. I'm doing it again for my 4l60E and I'll follow jeromio's advise. I like the zen approach and it's a lot cheaper than group therapy. By the way, there are substantial differences between early the 240Z and the 280Z. I think there must have been additional smog and maybe a catalyst in the Z. You still have to bang, but not as much on a 280.

gw