HybridZ

77 280z engine swap???????????

I recently bought the car and unfortunately discovered the engine is crap. So i found two engines.......one of them is from the same year and comression is #150 with a 30 day warranty. The second engine is from a 1980 280zx and is currently running in the vehicle with 120 day warranty. Both are the same price, but I was wondering which swap would be easier to complete. Also what are the changes I would need to make in order to swap an L28et instead.

Thanks

JP

what car is it going into? 240z?

if thats the case. I would say the L28et. You are going to have to do the same amount of work putting in the 77 L28e as you would with the zx motor, thats if you are wanting to convert to EFI.

If you just want it running, you can just detach the intake and exhaust sides of the engine and slap them on the new one. With this I would go with the 77 because the compression on the zx block wouldn't be high enough.

If you just want it running, you can just detach the intake and exhaust sides of the engine and slap them on the new one. With this I would go with the 77 because the compression on the zx block wouldn't be high enough.

Check out Lengine or the ozdata [or whatever] calculator - the Late NA L28 [F54 block+flat top pistons/P79 Head], has a higher compression than the dished piston early L28. Go with it if your keeping it NA for a while, go with the earlier one if you are going to boost it.