HybridZ

Early Su Carbs vs Triple Mikunis

So my 74 came with 4 screw Early SU but i can get a set of Complete Mikunis i was wondering would i benefit from the triples on a stock setup or sell em and get upgrades. im setting up for weekend Runs so i prefer more suspension but i love how mikunis sound and i already have a couple up body upgrades like bushings all around lowering springs and sway bars.

So if anyone can tell which way to go, get the mikunis or Tune my SU

You will get a hp increase from triples, but if you're not really familiar with them you'll probably spend a bit of time and $$$ getting them tuned properly. For a street car SU's work just fine, and SU's with a decent sized cam will probably work better than a stock engine with Mikunis.

If you're looking at MSA I'd say go for something around Schneider's Stage IV. Personally I'd have one reground to around that spec rather than buying the Schneider new. Something in the ~.500 lift and 290-300 duration range.

You'll have to do a bit of work to run a cam that large, like getting aftermarket springs and retainers and running different valve stem seals and fitting the right lash pads, but it's worth the hassle.

Search, read the stickies in the L6 forum, and you should find lots of helpful info.

JM hit the nail on the head: stick with SUs, build a mild/hot head, and stick with your own gut on putting the rest of the budget towards suspension. It is hard to disagree with someone dead set on going triples... but SUs are almost always enough, at least as a beginning. The SUs can be replaced once everything ELSE is done, and be a final power bonus.

Or go with overbored SU's. Not to overwhelm the number of options already available, but that's what I did when I had my head ported and polished with new cam installed, and those three mods together made my car a completely different animal.

I personally think it's a great option on a street car as i don't have to mess with some of the fussiness inherent with triple setups.

Or go with overbored SU's. Not to overwhelm the number of options already available, but that's what I did when I had my head ported and polished with new cam installed, and those three mods together made my car a completely different animal.

I personally think it's a great option on a street car as i don't have to mess with some of the fussiness inherent with triple setups.

Yep. Triples are so hard, man. They look great, and put you in heaven when they work. But they're such a bitch. I promise. Don't do it. SUs can handle 200HP no worries. Possibly a lot more, but this is what I know for sure. The overbore sounds cool. I've never done that. (I've had 14 Zs, not just the one I have now.)

Rebello Racing (Antioch, CA) did mine. Since my displacement is only 2.8l they took them out to 48mm. For 3.1l strokers they go all the way up to 50mm bores.

They do the whole package, new butterflies, ground down throttle shafts, custom tapered needles, etc...

There's been no mention in this thread of the size of the triple Mikunis. 38s would provide less power then the stock SUs. 40s can be better with 44 and 45s typical for a performance application. 50s are used for strokers making power close to and over 300 hp.

He is right; virtually all of the comments made to the effect that "triples are over-doing it" are only intended in the sense that, you do not NEED to go to triple to reach your power goals. Modest power goals can be well tuned in with modestly sized mikuni/webers and run at least as well as SUs; however, the tuning complications of matching six carburetors are still there.

There's been no mention in this thread of the size of the triple Mikunis. 38s would provide less power then the stock SUs. 40s can be better with 44 and 45s typical for a performance application. 50s are used for strokers making power close to and over 300 hp.

300HP with 50s? Dam that would be nice but i have a set of 40s which is for sale if anyones interested, but ill stick with my SU's for now