HybridZ

240sx VLSD swap into early r200??????

Big Kahuna

I have read the archieves to no end and got some good info, but still have some questions.

Recently I got caught up in the moment on Ebay and ended up with a s15 Silvia Vlsd. It(carrier) supposedly bolts into the early r200 case using early ring and pinion. so far so good!

But now how do I get this connected to the wheels? The Imput shafts have different splines than the early r200 carrier? Can these older shafts be modified to work with the new Diff. Does someone make these shafts? if not, Where can I get the imput shafts that where intended to be used with the Vlsd? And can they be modified to fit the early R200?

Am I on the right track here? Has anyone attemped this swap and have details of the swap? The archieves are very weak on this one. hail.gif

Sam

Aloha Big Kahuna!

There are quite a few sources for output shafts if you are putting it in a 240sx or z32 R200 or Infiniti housing. Depending on whether you want 3 x 2 or star pattern output shafts, you can find them in a variety of Infiniti rwd models as well as vsld 240sx models. $150 for a pair used or $150 ea new from Courtesy Nissan.

Do you have the differential in your hands yet? I had emailed the guy with questions but never got an answer. I don't bid from people that don't answer emails, but hope this guy comes thru for you. The photo looked like my S15 helical diff. I believe that the above output shafts will work in it also. (I am counting on it!)

check out 240sx.org FAQ on LSD for a survey of output shaft info.

mahalo

I actually do not have it yet. I was supposed to meet him today but I had something come up. He is going to ship it to me now.

As for the case I wanted to use. I have a r200 out of a 280zx with 390 gears. I was looking for a way to retrofit the VLSD into that case. Am I wasting my time? bonk.gif

This may help answer the question. I pulled a z32 NA (R200) output shaft and test fit it into the S15 helical LSD. Didn't fit! The LSD has 30 tooth splines and the Z32 output shaft has 29. We will both need to come up with 30 teeth output shafts! (unless yours are different. Please post your tooth count when your diff arrives)

I will go visit my local Z R200 guru and see if any of his stuff fits, will also check bearing spacing.

I went over to some of my 4x4 favorites and did some poking around about making some axles to make this work. I came up with a place called Moser Engineering Custom Alloy Axles. They claim they can make these axles to make this silvia VLSD unit fit it a r200. If this is the case, I think this conversion can be done for 600 bucks or less. When I get more info I'll post it.

• 4 weeks later...

update

I finaly got around to tearing down the r200 to see if this s15 vLSD would fit. Sure enough it does. But the output shafts are quite different from the R200s'. I will have some post up with pictures this weekend so I can get your guys take on my next step. I think I might be making custom axles and a CV conversion to make this work. So far my total cost is under 320 bucks.

• 2 years later...