HybridZ

tranny swap

jzd14

hey guys, i just wanted to pick your brains on a subject:

i have a 73z with an L28 in it and a four speed currently

i have a five speed that i want to stick in over christmas break

my car is also lowered about 2 inches from stock and i'm wondering if i'll be able to just drop out the tranny and put the new one in without taking the engine out, or am i going to have to take the engine out? which one is easier?

also, if i do have to take the engine out...would i be able to take it out with the intake manifold and the exhaust header still bolted to the block if i disconnect the header from the tailpipe?

thx everyone

You can swap it out without pulling the engine. If you want to pull the engine/tranny combo, you can leave the intake and exhaust manifolds inplace.

To pull the tranny:

Take off the drive shaft.

You'll probably have to drop the exhaust (depending on the routing)

Unbolt the clutch slave and put it out of the way (don't let it hang by the fluid line)

Take off the shifter.

Unplug the reverse light wires from the gearbox (pass. side)

Unbolt the 5 or six bolts on the bellhousing to block

unbolt the tranny crossmember (support the gearbox with a jack first)

pull it out.

Reverse the process for the new gearbox installation.

You might as well replace the clutch and pressure plate while everything is open.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Guest Anonymous

In addition to Tim's instructions to make the installation easier: obtain some (2) longer bolts to pull and align the transmission shaft into the engine and bring the engine and transmission together. It seem one of the longest water pump bolts was the correct size in length. Of course the longer bolts are too long to tighten the two components together but more importantly the tranny shaft's tip is is in the engine and with a little rotation of the tranny or engine the splines will match up and the tranny can be nudged home and the long bolts can be removed to be replaced by the regular "transmission to engine" bolts. I have used this proceedure without a tranny jack by laying on my back, wrestling the tranny into position on my chest and inserting the long bolts and bringing the two parts together.You gotta luv a Datsun to do this and a little foreplay with 2 long bolts helps for the engine to recieve the shaft...

TZ,

I must protest here!! :eek::D I must , I must ugg.gif

I would never use bolts to pull the gearbox to the block. Too much chance of damaging something by lining it up skew. If the clutch plate is aligned, then the input shaft should just slide home smoothly and allow the use of the normal bolts. The Datsun Gearboxes aren't heavy, so it's easy.

Just food for thought.....

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Owen posted that Tim 240 Z moved engines and transmissions around like rag dolls and could pull the whole works out, in under 30 minutes and back in just as fast. I am more gentle and slower.. I can feel when the shaft begins to make penetration. I slow down and slip it in gentlely by turning the shaft to align the splines with the long bolts holding the tranny in place.. Try this method at home in the evening! These younger members need this kind of advice in aligning those tight engine splines to the tranny shaft. Those parts are tuff.

I am more gentle and slower.. I can feel when the shaft begins to make penetration. I slow down and slip it in gentlely by turning the shaft to align the splines with the long bolts holding the tranny in place.. Try this method at home in the evening! These younger members need this kind of advice in aligning those tight engine splines to the tranny shaft. Those parts are tuff.

Just get the job done as efficiently as possible malebitchslap.gif , but NEVER force the input shaft...you'll hurt something!

"Wham-Bamm, Thank you, Mam"

Tim

I must agree with not using bolts to pull the trans up. If it doesn't go relatively easily, something is out of whack. If you do the clutch, get a plastic disc alignment tool. MSA has one for ~$10. If you want to get some waterpump bolts and cut the heads off, then thread them into the block they will help hold the trans up while you guide it in to make it easier on the arms. You will probably miss the deep first gear of the 4 speed. Is your 5 speed early or late? (3.3 or 3.0 first gear? they also have different overdrives, the earlier one is less. zhome.com as a ratio chart) I have a late one and swapped to a 3.54 r200 which helps a little. You may want to find a 3.90 diff, but I thought it took away too much of the gains of OD. You will love having the extra gear on the highway! I am REALLY looking forward to my T5 with it's deep first gear AND overdrive, almost as much as the late 5 speed but much better get up and go.

Guest Anonymous

Tim and Mike. with the two long bolts fully threaded into the engine block from the transmission side there is still a "substantial gap" between the engine and transmission with little chance of forcing anything. If a person has a transmission jack there would be little incentive to use the long bolts to get the engine close enough to the engie for alignment purposes The long bolts are used for alignment purposes not tightening.

Thanks Tim, TeeZ and Mike,

I will also be doing this - actually to ditch the Auto and put in a '78 5 speed and clutch in my '78. You guys all clarified this for me.

I might actually be able to pull it off now instead of paying the mech $$$ to do it.

Thanks for the input and I will probably be picking up the alignment tool from MSA.

Teo

Tim,

Thanks for the heads up - so this is a universal type alignment tool? Our shops here in the Midwest have never even heard of a Z.

I will back in So Cal at least once more before Xmas and will be stopping into MSA anyway.

Any advice on where to pick up the clutch hose/tube? That is one piece I haven't found yet.

Thanks again. You guys here are HybridZ are making it cake to put together my Velo Rossa and I am saving tons of cash while doing it! cheers.gif

Teo

Guest Anonymous

While at Harbor Freight today, I noticed that transmission jacks were on sale for $49.99 if you do not want to wrestle the tranny. Yes, the black plastic alignment tools are cheap at the parts houses.