HybridZ

RIPS 240z at Taupo drags, slippery runs!

RIPSNZ

What a day!! Damn hot, damn slippery and a few nasty moments.

Taupo dragstrip is the back straight of a circuit and there's a sand trap for another courner right beside the back straight, guess which way the wind was blowing?

Arrived at the track, set up our pit garage, all was looking good, for the 1st round of qualifying we turned the boost down and set it soft off the line and what a ride..........the track has a bump at about 50 meters out which upsets alot of cars and it got me every time sending me right towards the center line into the sand, nice.

Check out the shift light in top gear:

Another couple of qualifying runs from different angles:

Leaving with only 4000rpm and 1 bar boost:

Then the organisers decided that because there wasn't alot of Pro Import guys there they'd chuck us all in the supercharged outlaw class (blown alky door cars, blown 800kg altereds and the full tube comp cars (except the 6 second top door slammers)) nervous.gif and then make everyone run DYO (Dial your own) chairshot.gif I hate DYO, lol.

Obviously everyone was having traction problems as I qualified No2 overall (V8s and Jappers) but in DYO racing being quick is not usually a good thing as the slower guys can usually run more consistant and closer to their dial in time.

We decided a PB was not on the cards so might as well be gentle off the line and detune the top end boost to try and keep traction.

I dialed in at 8.45 but the dreded 50 meter bump still got me, listen to the rpm fluctuate in this video against a Dodge who had a 3.5 second head start, I backed out a couple of times, didn't quite catch him but he broke out so I got the win!! biggrin.gif

Here's a view from behind, racing my mate Jason from Cutelli Racing in his circuit RB30 R32, the dreded 50 meter bump gets me again!! You can even hear the tyres churp on the bump ffs.

Jason did well holding his 700whp+ track car in a straight line and still ran 10s thumbsup.gif

Here's another against a blown V8 chevy, this guy usually runs mid 8s but dialed in at 8.90 so I had to give him a 0.5 second head start......

Here's another against the 10 second RB30 track skyline, very gentle off the line, over to the left about 2 foot and fook all top end boost seemed to be the only way to get a clean pass:

All in all a fun day, ran 7 or 8 times with short breaks in between and no damage done, all set for next weekends twilight meet at Meremere which should be a good one.

Rob

The 240z is now sponsered by cocaine energy drink, if you check all the video's you'll see the new colour scheme from the side.

Rob

And yes hasn't that brand caused a bit of stir - even made the national news the other day - so I am sure that will bring you some extra exposure at the next big meet at Meremere :icon14:

And yes hasn't that brand caused a bit of stir - even made the national news the other day - so I am sure that will bring you some extra exposure at the next big meet at Meremere :icon14:

Yeah, just the usual goodie 2 shoes complaining about the name of the drink.

I don't see what the fuss is about cause "coke" is just short for coca cola which use to actually have cocaine in it and if these goodie 2 shoes people actually thought about it, all they are doing is giving the distributors/promoters of the drink alot of free advertising, they'll sell more for sure,

For me, I deal with a company who helps me race, I don't have a problem with the name and I do like the drink, simple as that.

Rob

Yeah, just the usual goodie 2 shoes complaining about the name of the drink.

I don't see what the fuss is about cause "coke" is just short for coca cola which use to actually have cocaine in it and if these goodie 2 shoes people actually thought about it, all they are doing is giving the distributors/promoters of the drink alot of free advertising, they'll sell more for sure,

For me, I deal with a company who helps me race, I don't have a problem with the name and I do like the drink, simple as that.

Rob

Yep same PC correct brigade that now doubt tied to shut down speedway in Auckland....and those that campaign against Bay Park when that was around....the list goes on.

Anyway the way I see it we need to have race cars and make noise so we can burn up the petrol so the PC brigade can be happy on the bi-cycles making us confirm to their greenie way while they control every aspect of our lives like communist. And look what that greenie save the trees stance has done to Australia - made forests/bush full of too much fuel

Rant over.

Back to the racing - it is all about the burning of fuel so we don't have issues like the bush fires in Australia....ok Rank over now.