HybridZ

What L-6 distributors are out there?

So Im looking into ignition now for my 3.1L. Im aware mallory makes one, as well as kameari, and then theres the turbo dizzy no idea how its better then a regular one, and thats about all ive ever come across for distributors. Im not really interested in distributorless ignition.

I actually called a place near me called EPWI where im able to get parts quite cheap and the fellow i talked to said the mallory unilite was $359.00 vs MSAs price of $600+ for the same unit. he also said he had another dual point distributor for the L6 but he couldnt remember the name of the part. since Im not in the market for buying one just yet i didnt make him go look it up. Im just curious if any of you know of any other distributors out there.

thanks, Matt

You never said whay Car it's going into. But the Mallory Unilte is available from other distributors other than MSA. Jegs and Summit, to name 2.

You can also use a 79' 280ZX E12-80 Dizzy. It's and easy swap, add one wire from the "B" connector on the ignition module of the dizzy, to the (+) of the coil. And the "C" goes to the wire that normally goes to your stock dizzy.

You can't go wrong with the Unilite, set it and forget it. Works great with an MSD ign. I use one with my MSD 6AL and Promaster coil and it rocks.

There's the dual point from Mallory but I can't think of any others, off the top of my head.

Good luck.

Dave

There are only 2 that I'm aware of. (Nissan and Mallory) and those are complete distributors.

There are, however, many upgrades that you can do to your OEM dizzy. Pertronix and and the Crane XR3000 are 2 off the top of my head. That way, you can keep the OEM looking Dizzy but have the upgrade inside. Kinda like a "Sleeper" (Beater on the outside, all performance on the inside)

Dave.

Yes. However, there is no advance mechanism in the '82-'83 distributor, so you would need to use it with an ECU capable of controlling the timing. It wouldn't work as a straight drop in with NA electronics.

Sorry to thread jack but i was wondering if one was to use the '82-'83 distributor with no ecu, such as on a carbed car with a MSD 6al would it work?

Sorry to thread jack but i was wondering if one was to use the '82-'83 distributor with no ecu, such as on a carbed car with a MSD 6al would it work?

Not unless you wanted your timing locked out (in which case you might be able to get it to work). At the minimum you would want a timing control box to get good drivability.

I'd run a ZX distributor before I ran the Mallory. But really, if you're doing it up and going to spend money on ignition, why not get DIS? There are lots of options there and they are a lot more precise than the gear driven distributor.

I like the thought of a distributor over DIS, couldnt tell you why its just how i feel. so i think ill go with the Mallory unilite unit with an MSD box so i dont blow the thing up.

but im not sure wheather i need mechanical or adjustable vacuum advance

• 6 months later...

On Vaccum Advance...

Vaccum advance on your triples needs to be hooked up before the first butterfly nut on your #1 weber, otherwise you get vaccum issues.

If you're running the cannon manifold onto triples (as I am), you have two "preselected" spaces to run vaccum from. One that is before the first butterfly nut, one that is not. They do not come drilled.

On mine, the vaccum for the brakes is hooked up to the space to run vaccum before the first butterfly nut on your webers. Not wanting to drill, I am looking for a new dizzy as well. I drive mine street and am looking for mechanical advance only.

I've heard that having to run vaccum advance on triples may not be the best thing to do anyways, because of decreased vaccum.

Let me know if you see anything you don't want? I'll do the same for you.