HybridZ

Creak/Groan when going over bumps/dips at low speed

Hi guys,

I'm a self-admitted semi-amature who loves learning by doing. I've never done suspension work before, but one of my long term (hopefully not too long term) goals is to replace all my suspension bushings on the 1980 280ZX I have [i can see the [OEM rubber, cracking] bushings are shot in many places).

A symptom I notice is, at low speeds, when I go over a speed bump, or enter/exit a sloped driveway/parking lot entrance, I hear what can best be described as a creaking/groaning from the front. Again - I really can't tell where it comes from, but it's tied to the wheel travel over the bumps and happens every time. I've bounced the car a couple times while parked and the croners seem to rebound only a couple times - which would suggest the struts are OK?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what it could be (the bushings I already plan to replace), and if it's something that's dangerous not to replace in the short term ($$)? Perhaps the springs/shocks - is there a better way to inspect/test these than the bouncing I did?

Like I said - I learn by doing - I've already learned (the hard way):

drum brakes

disc brakes

trailing arm bushings (BMW)

clutch master cylinder

exhause manifold gasket

differential gasket replacement

and some more I'm forgetting

Looking forward to learning more along the way!

Thanks in advance

Phil

Thanks guys for the replies.

I have not noticed a difference on rainy versus dry days to be honest.

My bushings are shot - that I know from checking them - and it's on my list of projects - complete bushing set. I'm just wondering if it's anything in addition to that (springs/shocks)?

That said.. I've heard that the energy suspension complete kit (polyurethane) is a popular upgrade. Would you guys endorse it - and if so, where would I get the best deal?

Thanks!

that's funny......

I was assuming you already had a bushing kit and didn't like the squeaky's.......

grease the bushings up when you put them in. i can't remember which one i had, but i think they are all about the same.

LOL

Nah - they are shot....and getting replaced.

Just wondering where to get teh whole kit for the S130 since they are available for the other Z's....but not mine, it seems.

For grease - do you just use all purpose grease? I have that.

So I found these on eBay - does thsi seem like a complete kit to you guys - and a decent price ($100 for the complete kit with shipping)?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/79-83-Nissan-Datsun-280ZX-Full-Suspension-Bushing-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ310114862416QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I cannot make out the brand in the photos. The interesting thing is that the complete kit for the 280Z frm teh same seller's store costs much more than this kit for the 280ZX...that's why I'm wondering if it's a complete kit?

Prothane is a reputable brand. And it looks like a complete kit to me but i dont have a zx. And no its not just a normal grease its a grease that is made for urethane bushings. its really thick and sticky.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__Polyurethane-Poly-Bushing-Chassis-Grease-14-oz-Tube_W0QQitemZ120368618934QQadiZ2865QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item120368618934&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Thats a pretty good deal. You can get little packets of it at autozone but thats much cheaper.

Right on - thanks for the tip on the brand - just can't believe it is so much cheaper than the other Z kits...

I just bought these from eBay auction (and asked the seller if these come with the required grease).

Thanks guys - hope to give an update with photos in the coming weeks when I have time to install these (not really looking forward to the install, but in a weird, "Need to learn by doing" way, I am :))

Phil

For those of you who've done bushings....

I have an FSM but have not looked at it and am not at home this week.

Question - when tightening everything back up with a torque wrench, do you want load on the components or not? When I did the rear trailing arm bushings on my BMW, I had to remove the strut in the rear - when I put it back, I had to torque it while the car was on the rear wheels - not on stands.

Thanks!

Phil

i don't even torque them.

i tighten them down, drive them around for 100 miles or so, then recheck everything, especially the drive shafts (if they were loose).

But do you do that when the car is up or after it's been lowered (and the full load is on the suspension)?