HybridZ

Quick question for guys who have restored their z's

What did you do with the origional wire holders that are welded to the sheet metal? (pictured in the first attached photo) I doubt im going to re-use them because i will be doing a lot of custom wiring. I'll be runing my 260 with megasquirt and half of the chassis wiring is junk or missing anyway. So, do you cut them off and grind the area smooth or leave em? If i grind them off i guess ill have to use wire holders that are held to the body by a screw.... which means more holes that i'm not a fan of.

The second pic is just to show everyone my project, its a 74 260 with very minimal rust ive had it on my rotisserie for the last week I just finished stripping EVERY thing off it today and the car is getting a full soda blast sometime next week :icon14:

wireholder_thumb.jpg

rotisserie_thumb.jpg

Plan carefully and keep as many as you can. Some may break off from repeated bending .Regardless of the modifications your doing much of the factory harness locations make fairly good sense. Make sure you identify these before any painting. Simple to replace with a 3/16" wide flat piece of sheetmetal , a little paint and some heat shrink tubing for the insulation.

If your soda blasting eveything remember the residue cleaner/remover before primeing. The blasting company should tell you about this important step.

Assuming that you have a welder, you can easily install new wire holders wherever you want . Just cut a thin strip of metal, drill a .125" hole in it, and plug weld it in place. This doesn't make a hole. use plasti-dip (made for coating tool handles, and available in different colors) for rubber ends. If you do this VERY carefully,(tack it and immediately put a wet rag on it, tack it again, go slow) you can install these even after you have painted the engine compartment.

Assuming that you have a welder, you can easily install new wire holders wherever you want . Just cut a thin strip of metal, drill a .125" hole in it, and plug weld it in place. This doesn't make a hole. use plasti-dip (made for coating tool handles, and available in different colors) for rubber ends. If you do this VERY carefully,(tack it and immediately put a wet rag on it, tack it again, go slow) you can install these even after you have painted the engine compartment.

Great idea, I think that i will lay out all my wires while the car is still in primer, Use all the existing holders that i can and then remove any broken and unused holders and weld in any extras. Then remove the wires and paint.

Hey Blake... It's great to see you treating the old gal like she should be. I hated to see her go but I feel much better knowing she's in good hands. Please keep us posted on your progress!!

I'll do my best, but to be honest I would rather be working on the car than updating posts on the internet. I am taking a lot of pictures though, Ill try to start a thread in the projects section and update it weekly. I'm really excited to get it soda blasted, from there all the work is building instead of "destruction" if that makes any sense.