HybridZ

Crazy Yet Typical Assembly Problem - Steering

So, all along in my 'perpetual build that may never be complete' I have run into quandries that defy logic. Had I listened to the very astute, sound advice given me by my friend Tim240Z, I would have purchased parts/materials AS I NEEDED THEM, and not gotten overly enthusiastic and started puking money for stuff from the beginning.

Where one of the problems arise is when you get a part that is wrong, or not needed, you cannot return it [even unused] after five years since purchase.

I bought a remanufactured steering rack on eBay. Thought it was a good idea as opposed to a 'worn' original piece that I had [though 'wear' was unverified since car was non-roller when I started]. I also accumulated all of the new ball joints, bearings, tie rod ends, etc. in the very early stages of my build.

Here's the rub -- The steering rack, though new and in a sealed box, was incorrectly assembled with two RIGHT side inner tie rod male ends. Correct configuration with left & right is one side of outer tie rod end should be clockwise thread, and the other counterclockwise thread [Moog ES2109R and ES2110R verified correct part numbers]. So, now I need two RIGHT side outer tie rods to assemble my 'new' steering rack. Since I failed to heed Tim's advice, I cannot return the 'new' steering rack OR the new-in-the-box tie rod ends !!

Is anyone preparing to assemble their steering and has yet to buy their tie rod ends ? I would like to trade straight across a NEW Left Moog side for a NEW right side with anyone. This will work if you have not yet bought your components.

Last, use me as an example...buy parts AS YOU NEED THEM, and try not to get caught up in the 'fun' of buying items for your build prematurely. It will save you these types of headaches...of which I have had MANY.

Sorry or maybe not to tell you but that's the way the racks come these days. Apparantely the left side inners are no longer made. I put 2 right side outters , no big deal. The wheel alignment people didn't even notice. I went through this too. I bought the outers before the rack came in. But I was still able to exchange the left side outter. You will have to get another set of right side adjustment nuts.

I bought a remanufactured steering rack on eBay. Here's the rub -- The steering rack, though new and in a sealed box, was incorrectly assembled with two RIGHT side inner tie rod male ends. Correct configuration with left & right is one side of outer tie rod end should be clockwise thread, and the other counterclockwise thread [Moog ES2109R and ES2110R verified correct part numbers]. So, now I need two RIGHT side outer tie rods to assemble my 'new' steering rack. Since I failed to heed Tim's advice, I cannot return the 'new' steering rack OR the new-in-the-box tie rod ends !!

The adjustment nuts come with the tie rod ends. Really difficult to understand that they 'can't or don't produce left thread inners' WTF? It is not rocket engineering...so everyone who puts on a repop rack has to deal with returning CORRECT parts ?

I just hated eating yet another $40 for a tie rod end that I cannot use, and hoped that someone else could make it a win-win.