HybridZ

Why viscous is unwanted/bad

Guest 240hybrid

Guest 240hybrid

I've heard alot of people say you dont want a viscous 88 se model LSD, but whats the exact reason for their bad reputation? Installation difficulties, breaking, or not as affective as clutch type? sour.gif

Guest Russ240z

ZMike...Welcome aboard! For what it is worth I would reconsider putting your whole address on the signature bar :eek:

You don't want someone else to be sporting around town in your new hybrid. 2thumbs.gif

Regards,

Russ

I am in the process of this coversion right now. Although I am using a VLSD out of a Silvia S15. I got the stub axles with my carrier too. The Whole unit drops into the case and bolts right up. I am waiting for bushings because the carrier holes are 12mm and my ring is 10mm. Once those show up I am going to drop it in. With the CV style axles I should be in business. Although I am a little concerned about how far the stub axles stick out of the case. They are a good 3-4 inches longer than the stock r200 stubs.

Ive been using a R180 Viscous for about 3 years now, and love it. Its very smooth and predictable.

Having said that, it will spin a wheel if one is on the dirt, but in a tight turn with the pedal down its fine.

I machined the original CV down to make up a flange that I bolt my original drive shafts to.

Steven

Guest 240hybrid

out of a silvia huh....yeah i heard you can use them. I'll look into it. I might go for the clutch type diff though, my machinist jim at sunbelt performance says use clutch not viscous. I believe he knows what hes talking about.

Guest 240hybrid

Thanks for all the replies about the viscous, buy I ended up getting a LSD clutch type from a 87 with cv's too. rockon.gif Now all I need it a conversion flange.

Guest 240hybrid

Thanks for all the replies about the viscous, but I ended up getting a LSD clutch type from a 87 with cv's too. rockon.gif Now all I need it a conversion flange.