HybridZ

1971 5.3 t56 lsz.

hi i am starting a 5.3 t56 1971 240z. I will try to keep everybody up to date with info and pics as i go along. so far I have the bottom end buttoned up and am awaiting the springs for the heads and cam. not sure on what i will run for a cam yet. I am looking for a r200 if any one knows where i can get one let me know(sas1971@live.ca). I will have some pats that i am taking out for anyone that is interested. (motor,seats,5spd,rims,ect). I haven't figured out how to get pics. on here yet but will post some as soon as i figure it out.

hi i am starting a 5.3 t56 1971 240z. I will try to keep everybody up to date with info and pics as i go along. so far I have the bottom end buttoned up and am awaiting the springs for the heads and cam. not sure on what i will run for a cam yet. I am looking for a r200 if any one knows where i can get one let me know(sas1971@live.ca). I will have some pats that i am taking out for anyone that is interested. (motor,seats,5spd,rims,ect). I haven't figured out how to get pics. on here yet but will post some as soon as i figure it out.

I have a fresh r200 open diff with 390 gears and axles. I just pulled off my 260z, too much gear for a stroker. let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the cam finally showed up so i got it and the comp cams timing set installed today. I got a r200 used from a member off this forum and with some work got the drivers side half shaft shortened 1/2 inch. this was not as hard as expected. I am still faced with the problem of putting a t5 behind an ls motor. I understand that the bellhousing for first gen motors are the same bolt pattern but the crank mounting flange is not the same depth on the ls motors so I am not sure yet how to get around this yet.

sas1971@live.cawell I got the motor together today, put the truck oil pan on for now till I find a car one. I really like these ls engines they are well thought out in how they are put togeather. Next on the list is to fab up a pully system. ha I like a challange. I am going with the edelbrock carb set up so i got one of their cams They recomended the EDL 2216 adv dur 314/322 lift 540/540. The engine is a low miles 5.3 stock heads with Z06 springs. I honed it ,put in new rings,mains and rod berings. new edelbrock double roller timing set and new gaskets.

Scott i am no L motor guy but I have been spinning wrenches on the ls1's and LSX based motors for 6 years. I can for see 1 problem have and can fix easy.

Those Z06 springs are junk and are at max lift at .565-.575 depending on what year spring you have. The comp cam xr275hr is a 222/224 .566/.568 112lsa and i know they recommend 918 springs witch have a max lift of .600. I know form my ls1 that the 918's can take a beating. I had a 228/228 .588/.588 114lsa cam in my car and the 918's on the cam had 40k on them and still i did not see any valve float.

I have decided on a different cam. Iam going with the edelbrock carb set up so I chose one of their carb specific cams EDL 2216 adv dur 314/322 lift 540/540 so I think the springs should be ok. For the other cam I would definitly go to a different spring but thanks for the heads uppp.

I got the front acc drive system solved today. worked out well. I used a altenater and ideler from a early 90's chev pick up. I will post some pics. tomorrow. Incase everybody hasen't noticed I cant spell worth a dam but hey knmowing how to spell won't make my car faster will it.

good deal

FYI when you are bolting down the rockers. The 15-18lbs that is says you need to tighten the rockers is wrong. You need do it buy feel. Tighten the rockers tell you feel them stop. NOT untell you cant turn the bolt more but untell you feel the rocker seat in the rocker tray. This is the proper way to do it so you dont have to open up them damn valve covers and do it all over again.

P.S. if any one needs some help in the dfw area with there ls1 let me know or pm me.

• 4 weeks later...