HybridZ

Aftermarket gauges in s30 - digg? post your pics!

I take it you have to remove the entire dash to replace the gauges? If so, is it a tough job or relatively easy?

No you don't. Tach and speedo are held in with two screws each. The first you can see on the front bezel up the top, the other you have to reach under the dash. Then they come straight out the front. To get the three small gauges out you have to first remove the centre section of the dash which has the air vents (Four screws), then each gauge has a metal bracket over the back of the gauge. This is secured by one screw at the bottom of the gauge. Then the gauges come out backwards.

I wonder how hard it would be to customize a gauge to include signals etc. Say I got a speedo and took it apart, if there was enough room to retrofit the original arrow lenses and lightbulbs, as well as get the thing back together. Maybe even retrofit a fuel gauge or something to have my own custom dual sweep? That would be intense. The msd one probably makes it impossible since there has to be room inside for the led needle to spin.

Here is an almost stock indicator option.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=143337

The only thing I may get around to trying is putting the vdo electronics behind the stock face. It would involve a new PCB though.

Jay260Z, go to this post, http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=142674 and you can see what I did to mount the gauges. While this swap can be done in car it is so much easier to pull the dash with the help of a friend. There are only a handful of connectors and screws to undo. Being single, my dash is residing on the sofa in my sunroom where I can easily work on it without damage. On a 240Z, you must disconnect the heater control cables to remove that panel for easy access to the small gauges. Getting to the tach and speedo is a RPITA with the dash installed. The best reason for pulling the dash is it allows you to properly lace in the gauge harnesses to the existing wiring. While it is out I have been cleaning up the interior, adding soundproofing/new carpet and installing the VintageAir Gen II ac unit. It's one of those 'while I'm at it' moments.

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to see what they are, and who makes them? please elaborate.

Part of the problem is often that combo gauges don't come in convenient packages. I mean I've never seen one that did oil pressure and batt amps etc. They are usually oil pressure and temp, water pressure and temp, etc. involving something I don't really desire.

The gauges that I am looking into are Westach Gauges. They make any combination for a relatively reasonable price.

Jeff: Thanks for the post. Strongly considering using Westach Gauges to replace the dual gauges in my 240Z. Went to Westach Gauge site and surprisingly found out that custom dual gauges can be ordered. The only questions concerning them are the sensors and the night lighting quality. Other than that, I think they should be fine.

I am a little curious about the lighting. I called them and things sound really good. I just have had problems finding equivalent dual gauges, but they look pretty cool.

I am hoping to have everything dealt with and finished by May... I will post pictures of anything and maybe these will be on it.

I already failed on getting gauges that look like the go together as a set. I bought an msd lazer tach/boost for cheap, but soon after realized they don't even make speedos! What the french, toast? I'll have to find another one that looks good enough, or similar enough. The tach does look beautiful though, hopefully when I get it and it lights up it will meet my expectations.

Does westach make the dual sweeps horizontal like the stock gauges? I'm not to crazy about the vertical ones myself, after seeing them on the dash, they just look funny for some reason, hard to get used to. Having the needles follow the circumference of the face seems to make the most sense to me.