HybridZ

Aftermarket gauges in s30 - digg? post your pics!

I haven't seen any threads on posting people's aftermarket gauges and I wanted to do it myself but am very indecisive. We have threads for everything else, why not gauge clusters? I'm planning on putting gauges in the stock places (the only problem is that the three small gauges are combo and not too many companies make useful small combos so I'd be short handed and have to put a fuel gauge or something elsewhere). I'd also like all the gauges to match, so I'm looking for a really cool set. Let's see your custom dashes for inspiration!

At first I thought to keep them looking original, but what the heck, this is HYBRIDz. So now I'm torn between an autometer traditional sweep (backlit) like the ES or Cobalt series, or the stewart warner green line gauges for that vintage look, or msd lazer for a modern look. Maybe even a digital readout would look good.

The one turnoff about the needle gauges is they almost always come in red, and if not, they aren't backlit like I enjoy. The digital gauges usually look boring when they are off because the entire screen goes blank (except the msd which combines both). I could however put my own logo in the center where the needle would be and make it more custom instead of a huge brand name they slap on there.

Examples:

gauge1.jpggauge2.jpggauge3.jpggauge4.jpggauge5.jpggauge6.jpg

Help!

Um, this is MSD we're talking about here, it's spelled lazer. :P

But no, sadly it doesn't. I'm sure it could be customized, but it only comes with a one color led on a spinning wheel like how those floating clocks work. Either way, I'm liking that gauge more and more, I just wish I could see them installed to help make up my mind. Also, if i could get the 5" to fit, they have a tach/boost double swing version.

The Revolution guages are an option I went thru a few weeks back...but Ive opted to keep my stock tach and speedo. In my current 280, none of the lighting has worked in any of the guages, and I didnt know why until about 3 weeks ago when I finally got around to removing the dash. The connector for the rheostat has a bubble in it, like it over heated or surged, and its not making the connection! When I put my L28e motor in I had off my other 280, and got everything ready for start up, my chassis ground wasnt good enough and caused some crazy sparks lol. Got it on video to(first time starting her up). Anywayz, Ive kept the stock guages and am currently doing what KTM has done with a LED lighting upgrade. Time consuming and frustrating, but if I can get it to work, I think I will be very satisfied. The speedometer is 90% done (with 16 LEDs in total) and testing it with some battery packs it looks better than I expected. Just another thought...

Jeremy

Cool deal! Drop a picture when it's near completion. I decided the heck with the stock gauges when I couldn't get my tach to work with the rb ecu, and the mechanical speedo broke so I had to put in a slimmer electric one. I was even thinking about getting an aftermarket gauge and putting my old face on it so that it would look original and be the perfect size -- that's the major drawback with the aftermarket ones, they are either too big or too small to fit like stock.

Hey well for my RB swap I did a set of Autometer Pro Comp gauges, I really like them. They are silver faced so there not too ricey. The other nice thing about them is that with the Speedo, you can calibrate it easily so if you switch diffs or tire sizes there isn't a big hassle of trying to acount for the difference. I also agree that there isn't too many places to put the gauges, right now I have my wideband in the drivers vent and working on a fiberclass A-piller mount for it and fuel pressure.

Here is some pics of my dash, not the best but you'll get the idea.

n72604599_36899081_5603.jpg

n72604599_34809278_7520.jpg

I take it you have to remove the entire dash to replace the gauges? If so, is it a tough job or relatively easy?

taking the dash out is easy. last time i took my dash out i timed myself(really lame, i know) and i did it in just over 20 min, and i was scrambling for tools also

Yeah the silver in my opinion looks nice, the gauges fit great in the stock holes. Also you pretty much have to remove the dash, there is so much wiring under there there is no comfortable way to do it otherwise. depending on what is installed under there and how much you find needs replacing you may take longer than 20mins lol good time though! Also with aftermarket gauges you need to design some extra lights for turn signals and hazard flashers, if you want those in the dash too. No biggie but something else to consider. to mount the actual gauges my brother used perforated strap which was rubber coated and it made fore a nice flexible fit which doesn't rattle.

n72604599_36810766_227.jpg

its amazing how much crap and wireing is stuffed up there ...

You're telling me. It took me 20 min just to take out the tach and even longer to put it back in with those stupid wingnuts. I lose one, no idea where it is under there. You have to force back all the other crap and the heater ducts to jam it back in.

I wonder how hard it would be to customize a gauge to include signals etc. Say I got a speedo and took it apart, if there was enough room to retrofit the original arrow lenses and lightbulbs, as well as get the thing back together. Maybe even retrofit a fuel gauge or something to have my own custom dual sweep? That would be intense. The msd one probably makes it impossible since there has to be room inside for the led needle to spin.

Otherwise put some small holes in the dash bezel itself for the turn lights? It wouldn't look too original though unless I was really crafty about it. But the bezels are pretty deep, I'm sure something stylish could be designed, like a tiny pod for the arrow lenses.

I put the fuel, boost, and Pyro in the center where the radio would go.

GEGUAGEPANEL001.jpg

dash280z004.jpg

Turn signals cut from old tach and put into the small square location next to console light.

dash280z003.jpg

Overall look of the guages.

zseats021.jpg

I did not try to get the stock tach working but you should be able to jumper a 500 ohm to 10k ohm resistor between tach signal and +12v . This is what I did for the autometer tach. And it works just fine.

Tachsetup.jpg

Ezzzzzzzz , those gauges look AMAZING ! May I ask where you got that turn indicator, high beam, hazard indicator 'gauge' ?

I have all Autometer Phantoms, and am putting the pieces into place now, dash is out. Dilemma has been GOOD lighting. I don't think that I feel the need to put the gauges in the OE housings, though a great install. I am comfortable just fabbing some angled 'hangers'.