HybridZ

Did a search. L28ET swap into S30 Q's.

Ratfink

Okay... The engine is in and running. Not great, but I need injectors pretty bad. A couple q's.

First.. Knock sensor. In the instructions to swap over the engine, there is no where to plug the knock sensor into. I can tell when an engine pings, but is there a way that I can easily wire it to the ECM? Is it even really needed?

Second. The throttle linkage does not reach the swivel on the firewall....

What is normally done to make it longer? I can weld one later, but don't have a welder on hand for a while.

That's it I think. Thanks for the help. I did a search, but I suck with searches. I never get the results I need, and after an hour of reading, I lose time I can be working on the Z.

Also, anyone in the Phoenix area, I will try and bring it to the Pavilions tonight.

Not missing a piece. But the linkage is too far forward on the FI manifold compared to the Canon intake manifold I had running my triples. I am on another persons computer. Loading pictures is proving to be difficult. I have it adjusted to where it barely fits inside the piece on the firewall. The L shaped bent rod that goes from the firewall to the rod in the manifold it the part that I will make longer if I need too. This is on a 260Z 2+2.

Don't kid yourself, you won't ever hear the detonation that kills your engine. Likely, neither will the knock sensor. It can happen at 3 psi or 8, or 25psi.

As for the throttle, there is a two-piece linkage that bolts on the firewall that telescopes. They are on the later S30's and fit all earlier models. Using a portion of that linkage, and the ZX linkage it goes together jussst fine! Reaches and everything. Even the 78 S30 linkage should fit. When you swap back to SU's the thing telescopes all the way in and almost hits the firewall, and for the EFI setup you are all the way out.

For triples, depending on the manufacturer, you could be all the way in, out, or having to cut the linkage to make a really short one. Keep the portion from the ZX, they come in handy for cutting into the various lengths you need. It's a handy retrofit to earlier cars if you swap manifolds often for development. One linkage almost fits everything, and with a flipping of the removab le piece you can go in from underneath, or with a cut you can shorten it even shorter than stock.

I think all the EFI S30's had them. The fit fine into the ZX manifolds. It's what I used on my 260 with the 82 ZXT manifold. I think I used the S30 firewall piece, and the ZXT manifold linkage. But it may have been the stock linkage off a 1977 280Z.

Good Luck. Wave to all the guys at Pavillions for me. I haven't made a DZA event in years. Last time I was at a meeting, there was a guy runing up and down the road outside the dealership in his new 240 with an SR20DET with no headlights!

Don't kid yourself, you won't ever hear the detonation that kills your engine. Likely, neither will the knock sensor. It can happen at 3 psi or 8, or 25psi.

This scares be, I had detonation and it was LOUD, I hope when I pull the head off in the next few days all looks fine, Either way though, I have a spare bottom end in good condition...

Oh and I take back what I said earlier about the head temp sensor, you can just plug it into a water temp sensor on the thermostat housing.

The knock sensor only works I think up to 3.5k rpms, and its usually at wide open that you have problems so it doesnt help much anyways.

The 5 piston Ross Forged Piston Distruction happened at 8.39psi at less than 4500 rpms...

We never heard a thing.

True, it was at WOT... but you may never know, until you notice the blowby and innocently check the compression or do a cylinder leakdown test (which has become easy, now that Harbor Freight sells a leakdown tester!)