HybridZ

MODS - Not Sure Where This Should Go - CUSTOM TOW HOOKS

240Z2NV

I want to fab some custom 'track legal' tow hooks for my project. Mr. Coffey was generous enough to share a pic of one of his that I am using for 'inspiration'. I fabbed up my rear hook [loop], and know where to mount it. I am working on coming up with ideas for the front, and have a solid idea on mounting location.

I just have one painfully simple [i.e. stupid] question. Is there any real rationale as to which SIDE the 'hook' is mounted ? Driver's side or passenger's side ? They are being fabbed from 1/4" thick plate steel, cutting them down to 'regulation' hole dimension, then angled & gusseted to mount at bumper bracket locations.

I have this itchy feeling that there is some logic for putting them on one side or the other [driver's / passenger's]. Any of you track boys or fabricators out there have any recommendations ?

Thanks for looking....

Im not much of a track guy or a fabricator, but the only thing I can see making a difference would be engine mods... for instance, Im putting mine on the passenger side because I have my intercooler piping on the drivers side... I believe stock Zs had them on both sides, at least mine did, I would imagine mounting one to the original location couldnt be a bad idea.

If you go off track and its muddy, the tow truck drivers are going to throw you the rope and hook and make you get all dirty hooking the car up. Having the tow hooks on the driver's side of the car means you spend less time slogging through the mud and possibly losing a shoe. Don't ask me how I know this.

EDIT: If its REALLY muddy, you can slide along the hood, hang over the front, and attach the hook from above. Just don't fall off the hood. I saw a BMW driver do this.