HybridZ

Anybody using block huggers or shorty headers w/ Scarab mount?

jhm

Great website, folks! It's provided a wealth of data on a variety of topics, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to this particular question. I understand that, in general, it's recommended to use the Hooker 2147 long-tube headers with a Scarab mount; but I'd really prefer to go with block huggers or shorties if possible. If anyone's using them with their Scarab mount, pls let me know what header you're using (manufacturer and model). Pictures would be greatly appreciated as well, so that I could compare with my particular setup. I've attached a couple pix of my current setup w/ iron manifolds -- obviously, I need to be careful with clearance between the header, engine mounts, and steering shaft. Thx in advance to anyone that can help!

Passenger side_thumb.jpg

Driver side 1_thumb.jpg

Driver side 2_thumb.jpg

When I did the restoration I bought a new set just because I wanted the fresh look. I still have the old set on a shelf in the garage. Sorry I don't know what brand they are (or were). But they worked fine and no clearance issues. If you have an interest in them let me know and I'll take some pictures.

Rog

I am currently using Sanderson Block Hugger headers on my Scarab. They clear just fine. On the drivers side you have to line up the flanges to avoid hitting the frame but they'll fit OK and do not interfere with anything. I'm not sure you can't use any block hugger header... The only reason I'm using the Sanderson's is that they clear the angle plug heads on my Scarab. You have straight plug heads that can use "normal" block hugger headers. The outer tubes on the Sanderson's are lapped over the inner tubes--- other "shorty" and block hugger headers are the opposite. BTW, I have an original set of Scarab (Hooker) headers that will be going on during the next resto.